Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

FLoaties in washing machine after agitator starts

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dnnismeredith

dnnismeredith

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:00 AM

This is a general question about a top load washing machine.  I do not have the make and model available to me right now.

I have searched the posts and have not found anything similar to my problem.  Hopefully someone can give some insight.

Here goes:

When I fill the washing machine, the water fills crystal clear.  Great!!:)  However, when the agitator starts, lots of floaties (I believe they have been refered to as gookus in some of the other posts) appear:(.  They look like dirty pieces of skin (you know like when you were a kid and got a sumburn and then would pull the burned skin off in sheets after a couple of days) floating around in the water.  I am assuming that this ia build-up from between the inner and outer tubs that has accumulated over time.

After the water drains, some of the gookus is left in the tub.  We wiped that out and re-filled the washer and the same thing happened again several times.  We filled the tub, dumped in some white vinegar, let that agitate and set for a while, then ran it through a couple cycles to rinse everything out, wiping the left over gookus out of the tub each time it emptied.  After all that, we are still getting gookus when the agitator starts:X.

How do I get rid of the gookus? 

Any help would be appreciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Waffle House Coffee

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:55 AM

You have to remove the clothes guard and inner tub and clean it all out and then reassemble....its years of dirt that gets caught at the top st the top of the outer tub and in the self cleaning lint filter....yeah I know (self cleaning)
If you would like to make a donation you may do so at the link below

One on one repair help now available !

http://homepage.mac....ppl.tech.29501/

http://twitter.com/ApplTech29501

http://www.facebook.com/ApplTech29501

www.eliteapplianceservice.org

#3 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:16 AM

Also known as 'The scrunge ring'  In it is  the stuff the washes out of the clothes...............I.E. dead skin, dog/cat hair, people hair, plus, imagine  if you will, the days when people washed their cotton diapers :shock:......Yuppers , ya gotta disassemble the top..................Remove the splash ring, fill with hot water, ( I use powdered detergent as a scrubbing agent ) a good scrubber pad  and clean away.......Most of the stuff in the 'scrunge ring' gets there from the stuff rising at the top of the detergent suds...the water level will only reach the bottom of the 'ring'............You may be using too much detergent.............I.E. a lot of suds- a lot of scrunge.....( plus the smell )  

#4 dnnismeredith

dnnismeredith

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:18 AM

I will take it apart tonight and try scrubbing it as you suggested. 

I think the new more concentrated soaps may be the problem as to the too much detergent.  We have to rinse a couple times to get the cloths free of suds.  Strange thing though, there is not a foul odor.  Are liquid soaps better or worse than the powder soaps are for rinsing clean?

It also seemed like the water may have been going out, but not the scrunge that was sucked through the holes in the inner tub.  Unless, there is just that much scrunge that is coming loose all of a sudden.  It seemed to empty in a timely manner.  Where is the "self cleaning" filter located?  As long as i have it apart, I would like to check that.

Thanks for the help!

#5 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Waffle House Coffee

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:03 AM

The filter is attached to the bottom of the inner tub if you have a Whirlpool built machine...dont try to remove it from the tub,,just take it outside and go to town with the water hose...liquid soaps tend to work better in my opinion due to it being (liquid) it doesnt have to change states or dissolve like the powder.But, both can increase residue and odor if too much is used or overloading the machine as well as decrease the life of your clothes.
If you would like to make a donation you may do so at the link below

One on one repair help now available !

http://homepage.mac....ppl.tech.29501/

http://twitter.com/ApplTech29501

http://www.facebook.com/ApplTech29501

www.eliteapplianceservice.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics