Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

GE PROFILE

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_GaryB_*

Lurker_GaryB_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 20 April 2005 - 01:58 PM

GE Profile range. Model #JGBP85BEB5BB..  The touchpad will let you put in the numbers to bake at, but the start button will not work.  Does this sound like the touchpad or the ERC.  I have part numbers for both, but no real appliance repair experience.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Gary

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 The Seven

The Seven

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 05:45 PM

Could you use the touchpad to input other function?
If no, most likely touchpad is bad.
If yes, most likely ERC is bad.
The Seven

#3 GaryB

GaryB

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 06:25 PM

The touchpad has all the # keys, and they all worked, the Bake and Broil key workey.. All keys worked except the start key.  We put something in the oven, select bake, 350 and hit start, nothing happens.. It then flashes push start and I think it beeped.  Do you still think its the touchpad.  Thanks for the advice

G

#4 GaryB

GaryB

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 06:28 PM

Can just one key on a touchpad go bad, or generally does the whole thing crap out at once?

G

#5 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 06:48 PM

Before you do anything else turn off the breaker to it for a few minutes.  Turn it back and and try it.

Anything is possible.  If that doesn't work, turn off the power, remove the 4 1/4 inch screws, remove the console and let it hang by the wires.  Remove the door if it gets in your way.  Read the tech sheet taped to the inside to your left. 

If you stare at it long enough, sooner or later the light bulb will go off in your head and you'll know which pins on your ERC near your ribbon cable you need to jump out to simulate pressing the start button.  If you do this and it comes on then it can't be the ERC.

You said the start button doesn't start the bake or broil.  Does it work on the clock, the timer, or clean?

#6 GaryB

GaryB

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:10 PM

I already had it all pulled apart.  It was unplugged, Reassembled and plugged in, the start key does not work for anything.  From what you said sounds like I may need a new touchpad.

G

#7 The Seven

The Seven

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:43 PM

[user=300]GaryB[/user] wrote:

Can just one key on a touchpad go bad, or generally does the whole thing crap out at once?

Each key is a switch. It is very unlikely that all switches fail at the same time!
More "press"! More "wear"!

START answer please!
Which key the user press most?

Then follow Jedi's FORCE to check START.
The Seven

#8 GaryB

GaryB

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 09:41 PM

Allright,  I looked at the schematic and figured out witch ones to jump.  I plugged it all in and selected bake, 350 and was able to start the oven...  Looks like a bad start switch, and the ERC is OK.  You guys ROCK. Thanks for the info

:banana: G

#9 Lurker_Grandpa9_*

Lurker_Grandpa9_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:04 AM

I have a problem similar to Gary's (April 05).  Ge Profile double electric oven.  Showed failure code F7.  Removed panel, diconnected and cleaned all connections.  Reassembled.  Now the START and CLEAR buttons (top and bottom) don't work.  There was no "tech sheet" in my oven.  Do you know where I can get one?  Thanks.

#10 Poobah

Poobah

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 07:21 AM

from the Samurai (Master)...info on a F7
This is the DAY that the LORD has made, REJOICE and be glad in it.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics