Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE GSS25KGPEWW Refrigerator Service Manual request

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sbdivemaster

sbdivemaster

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Homebrew

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:16 PM

I've had the water dispenser freeze up a few times in the past (inherited fridge), but this time it has lasted for 5 days.  I tried reducing the freezer, and refrigerator, thermo a bit, rearranged the freezer to open up some space around the area of the door where the tube is located.  Nothing.

I get the click and hum when the despenser is activated; ice maker works, and ice/crushed ice come out fine.  All symptoms point to frozen dispenser tube.

I'm thinking about opening up the door, cleaning out the tube (we have very hard water, so I suspect the tube could be a bit obstructed, making the freeze up more frequent), and trying to insulate the tube better.

A service manual and/or schematic would help a bunch.

Arigato.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:23 PM

Pegi wrote:

GE Consumer & Industrial

Service Bulletin

OCTOBER 2007

REFRIGERATORS REF 10-07
METAL LINER SIDE-BY-SIDE MODELS
BUILT JANUARY 2003 THROUGH
JANUARY 2007 (AF-AM MODELS)

WATER LINE FREEZING

Moisture migration into door foam may cause dispenser tube to freeze, resulting in no water dispensed.

MODELS AFFECTED

All metal liner SxS production built January 2003 through January 2007 (serial numbers AF through AM):

Models BSS, DSS, ESH, GSH, GSS, GST, HSS, SSS

REPAIR/RESOLUTION

Install service kit WR49X10173, dispenser heater

Posted Image

hvacdrd wrote:

A common problem with these GE units. Come and get the Dispenser Heater Kit GE came up with to solve a poor design. I didn't think this would work but used it on my 4 year old GSL25 unit that was froze up for 2 months (and I fix stuff all day for other people) - mine was thawed out in less than 6 hours and works like a charm.

It would be worth a call to GE to see if they will send one out for free. GE p/n WR49X10173

Also check out this post and a picture of the heater. It is the foil tape piece.

Posted Image

click on picture
Posted Image

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 sbdivemaster

sbdivemaster

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:08 AM

Thank you for the reply!

OK, I contacted GE about getting the service kit. They gave me the run around for a while, transferring me to different people; everyone feigned ignorance about the problem. Finally, I got a hold of someone that put me on hold, came back and again said that no one knew anything about the problem.

I finally read them the text of the Service Bulletin shown above. Whoa! Suddenly, they are taking down my name and address and sending the part to me.

I will wait until the part arrives and I have it installed, then I will check back here with the outcome.

Thanks RegUS_PatOff and Pegi.

#4 sbdivemaster

sbdivemaster

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:00 AM

OK My free part arrived. Yes, FREE! :bananadance:

However, while it includes instructions on how to splice it into the wiring, there aren't any instructions on how to remove the board and cradle assembly.

Does anyone have instruction on how to do this, or the service manual for this refrigerator?

Thanks.

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:14 AM

31-9072 link PM'd

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 sbdivemaster

sbdivemaster

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:59 PM

IT WORKED!!

:party:

With the service manual, I was able to get the panel apart, thouroughly clean everything inside (there was some nasty stuff in there), and install the FREE heater kit GE sent.

In less than 3 hours, the purified waters were again flowing.

A big thanks to RegUS_PatOff and Pegi!  Plus a sumo sized arigato to our Fermented Grand Master of Appliantology for having these wonderful forums!

A donation to your Flavorite Charity will be forthcoming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics