Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

R134A Question

citizenX

Ok, I should probably know this but what is the real difference and/or risk in using automotive grade R134a for appliance use? I know the appliance grade stuff is tested for purity and dryness beyond that of automotive grade but would the system hold up in the long run for domestic appliances? I'm 608 certified and was always taught since the beginning to use appliance grade r134a (and I do) but I hear of others using automotive grade and wondered if anyone here does it or has any insights. Is it worth saving a few bucks to buy auto grade?

Thanks

Brian

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have used a 30 gal jug of R134a at work and I have used cheap cans from the dollar store on refrigerators and freezers.  Never had a problem.  In fact I never even thought their is a difference in the 2 until you asked this question.

Well there is most definately a difference in the two...automotive grade is not manufactured to be as "clean" or dry as appliance grade therefore that is why it is generally cheaper than appliance grade. I find that many folks are using auto grade for everything - either because of cost or just because they don't know there is a difference.  As you know, automotive systems don't have compressor windings and extremely narrow capillary lines to contend with as in sealed refrigeration systems so the auto refrigerant doesn't need to be as pure as it is does with appliances. I've used nothing but appliance grade since 1995 but I was just wondering if anyone had any long term issues (burnouts, clogged cap lines & driers, etc) with using the auto grade in appliances. I guess I'm trying to discern if there really is that much of a difference to the extent that I've been taught and followed all these years.

There is a difference as you say., the auto grade isn't as pure...I have seen both used in refrigeration applications with no problems. As long as your using a good auto grade brand (some of the small 1lb. Cans that are china made have extra oil to get the weight up to the 1lb. Mark.) I don't think you will ever have a problem using it in refridgerators....the sad truth is the sealed systems aren't designed to last long enough for the long term problems (if there are any) to become a factor.

[user=27301]appl.tech.29501[/user] wrote:

the sad truth is the sealed systems aren't designed to last long enough for the long term problems (if there are any) to become a factor.

I would sure have to agree with you on that statement appl.tech.29501!!!!!

From what I've been seeing lately and especially in your favorite brand, (for the life of me I can't figure out why), Frigidaire, I say you're lucky if you get 9 years out of any of this new junk on the market.

I've seen so many 5 - 7 year old Frigidaires  with sealed system problems it's not even funny.

Willie I'm a Whirlpool man when it comes to refridgerator.... the only Frigidaire appliance I am partial to is there dishwashers. You couldn't give me a frigidaire refridgerator. Their sealed systems are by far the worse on the market....hmmm I might need to write a Haiku for that 1.

[user=27301]appl.tech.29501[/user] wrote:

Willie I'm a Whirlpool man when it comes to refridgerator.... the only Frigidaire appliance I am partial to is there dishwashers. You couldn't give me a frigidaire refridgerator. Their sealed systems are by far the worse on the market....hmmm I might need to write a Haiku for that 1.

I see you always raving about there dishwashers and I don't see how that can be.

I thank they are some of the worst built dishwashers around.  I've seen plenty of wash motors going out on these pieces of junk and don't get me started on their lower rack rollers constantly falling off and door latch handles breaking!!!!!!

I've noticed also in the last year or two Frigidaire is going they way of G.E. in part prices, (2 to 3 times higher then any other manufactures for the exact same part), just like G.E. has always been.

All brands have their issues, guess when it comes to dishwashers I have just had better luck with frigidaire, and yes prices are on the rise.

I agree with Frigidaire being the worst dishwasher around, but I am having more issues with old school Amana SXS refrigerators having sealed system issues, mostly evaporator refrigerant leaks.

yeah Scott me too its a close race between the Amana's and the Frigidaires at the moment.

Archived