Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Refrigerator Door Dispenser stuck on!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 leyengt

leyengt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 09:58 AM

Our 4 year-old GE side-by-side refrigerator, model GSH25KGMB BB, began dispensing ice all by itself this afternoon.  My son had used it a few minutes before for ice cubes, but no one was near it when it just turned itself on.

After messing with the ice maker on/off switch (behind the upper shelf), the door switch (on the top inside of the freezer) and all the door switches (water, crushed ice, regular ice, etc.), I finally got it to stop by activating the child lock function.  I tried unlocking it hoping it would reset, but no joy - once again here comes the ice.

Best I can figure, the system “thinks” the dispenser switch is being pushed by the paddle that you press your cup against to get ice or water.  That paddle is swinging freely and I can hear the “click” of the switch as I push and release it.

If there’s a way to access the switch I’d appreciate knowing how to try – I can’t find any access from inside the unit and I tried to pry of the bezel around the dispenser from the outside but got concerned I’d break it since it didn’t come easily.

Any ideas are certainly welcome!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,162 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:14 AM

Check the micro switches, esp. item 72, make sure they're not stuck. If they check out , then you're left with replacing the control board (item 90). -- it's a common troublemaker on this fridge. CLICK HERE.

#3 leyengt

leyengt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 05:21 PM

Thanks for the advice and diagram. I was able to clean the corrosion mess off the contacts of the micro switch with a file and things seem to be working OK now.

Funny, it seems that the micro switch is normally closed so any disruption causes the circuit to open and the ice falls out like a slot machine. I would seem to make more sense to have the circuit closed when the micro switch is activated.

Like you also mentioned, this will be our last GE appliance. We've had five service calls plus this event in four years and that just seems wrong. Live and learn.

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 07 September 2005 - 05:36 AM

You will need to see if your frig falls under this moisture repair program by your serial number.

http://www.keypresti...SxSMoisture.pdf

Here is the updated serial numbers that were added....your model number is in this program.

[align=left]Important Change to 4th Year Moisture Program On any service call for any failure on the listed models/serial numbers, please call customer relations once the diagnosis is complete at 1-800-437-9283, prompt 1. The serial number range on the affected models has been expanded to include all serial numbers from AA2-ZD2. [/align]

Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,162 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:02 PM

[user=3223]leyengt[/user] wrote:

Thanks for the advice and diagram. I was able to clean the corrosion mess off the contacts of the micro switch with a file and things seem to be working OK now.

Nice work!

#6 leyengt

leyengt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 06:45 AM

Actually, the story gets even better.  Based of the information Pegi supplied, I called GE on Thursday and asked for coverage under their moisture program since we had three service calls in 2003 due to similar problems.  Even though our unit is just over 4 years old, the serviceman that came out this morning agreed that this is a moisture problem and two new doors will be provided and installed free of charge.  There was also no charge for today's service call.

The new doors are thicker, evidently due to different and thicker installation according to the service technician.

Again, hat's off to you all for helping me through this.  It will be great to have this problem finally solved.

Greg

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 10 September 2005 - 06:58 AM

Cool,  pleased I was able to provide the information you needed to get this repaired for good and for free. You reply will give hope to others that they can get Big Companys to do the right thing for their customers..:cool:
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics