Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Begin your journey to appliance repair mastery…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
nickfixit

Hybrid Electric Water Heater

4 posts in this topic

I've seen ads for something they are calling a "hybrid electric water heater", has anyone ever seen one? It's claimed to save something like 50% on energy costs.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

GE Electric Heat Pump Water Heater

"... that can reduce water heater operating cost up to 62% and save $320 per year.*

*Based on DOE test procedure and comparison of a 50-gallon standard electric tank water heater using 4879 kWh per year vs. the GeoSpring hybrid heat pump water heater using 1856 kWh per year."

http://www.geappliances.com/heat-pump-hot-water-heater/

seems too complicated ...

if the hot water heater stops working ... who ya gonna call ?

We use a NG GAS water heater, which is already saving us about 66% (vs. electric) in our area

Actually, we have a Lennox Complete Heat direct vent water heater/furnace ..

I installed one in my sister's house in rural Mass. (no natural Gas) and it works great for her. It makes sense where the only options are electric or propane.

I installed the Rheem version of the hybrid water heater and would recommend against this particular model. It has a pump that circulates the water in the tank when it is heating, so the hot water output starts cooling immediately upon use. This means you are constantly having to adjust the valve at the shower/faucet/etc to try to maintain the desired temperature!