Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

F3 code on Kenmore Oven

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 officer

officer

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 03:52 PM

Samurai

I have a problem with my Kenmore wall oven.  Model # 911.3042993. It flashes a F3 code.  I have already replaced the oven sensor.  I have checked the wiring from the oven sensor to the ERC.  They appear to look fine.  This oven has 3 thermal switches:  A fan thermal switch (purple dot) that controls the mixing fan.  A fan thermal switch (white dot) that controls the cooling fan. Then finally a lock circuit thermal switch (yellow dot).  I am not sure how to check these switches.  I have the technical data sheet for this oven.  The F3 code states this:  Open sensor circuit.  1. Measure
Sensor Circuit Resistance at sensor/Lock switch connect plug at ERC.  If I replaced the oven sensor do I still need to do this?  There are a few more suggestions on the data sheet but they all point to the oven sensor. 

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:05 PM

If you used the original plug in connectors they sometimes make bad connections, it is advised to cut the wires and splice with ceramic wire nuts, might try this to see if this error is still there. Also did you turn the breaker off and back on to reset the ERC?
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 officer

officer

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:17 PM

I cut the wires and put wire nuts on the new oven sensor and taped them up w/ electrical tape.

I also reset the breaker still have the F3 code.

It only happens when it is cooling down.

#4 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:31 PM

[user=3234]officer[/user] wrote:

The F3 code states this: Open sensor circuit. 1. Measure Sensor Circuit Resistance at sensor/Lock switch connect plug at ERC. If I replaced the oven sensor do I still need to do this?

Hello, my open sensor friend. Yes, you should still measure the resistance of the sensor circuit from the ERC since your problem points to something amiss in that circuit.

There are a few more suggestions on the data sheet but they all point to the oven sensor.

Would you be so kind as to post those? Perhaps we could glean a hint of something else to examine by reading the suggestions in the tech sheet. Better yet, you can post a copy of your tech sheet here as an attachment.

Allahu Akbar!

#5 officer

officer

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:39 PM

ERC Failure Codes: F3-Open Sensor Circuit

1. Measure sensor circuit resistance at sensor/lock switch connect plug at ERC (Should be approx. 1100 Ohms @ room temp.).

If Circuit Open look for:

*Open Sensor-measure directly across sensor (pull sensor into oven approx. 10 ines for access to sensor disconnect).

*Cut or pinched sensor harness wire.

*Melted sensor disconnect-sensor disconnect (behind oven) will melt during self-clean if connector is improperly positioned against oven cavity.

* Loss of contact within sensor harness connectors at back of oven or at ERC.

*One or both sensor leads shorted to ground.

Sorry I dont have any way of posting the whole data sheet.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:48 PM

Yep, everything points to the sensor. There's no getting around doing that resistance measurement from sensor connector at the ERC. Make that measurement and report it here.

I cut the wires and put wire nuts on the new oven sensor and taped them up w/ electrical tape.

Did you use ceramic wire nuts or plastic ones? Have you re-visitied these splices since having the problem again?

#7 officer

officer

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:59 PM

I put the wire nuts that came with the new sensor on.  I cant remember if they were plastic or ceramic.  I have to wait on my friend to come back and help me pull the stove back out before I can get a reading on the ERC.

What about the thermal switches do you think they might be a problem?

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:08 PM

[user=3234]officer[/user] wrote:

What about the thermal switches do you think they might be a problem?

I have no reason to suspect them-- everything points to a problem with the sensor circuit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics