Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Cold things warm and frozen things warmer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 drumhopper

drumhopper

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:11 PM

My refrigerator has decided to do the warm thing. It started as a single incident in which I thought would be resolved by removing 2 inches of cat fur from the condensor and vents. But alas, a few days later it went back to doing the warm thing. After believing that the freezer was simply too full and cleaning it out (because most of it went bad), the thing cooled once again. However, it more frequently goes to it's warm ways. Now a technition is called and orders a new defrost switch which as of yet has not arrived.

Now knowing to turn the defrost switch I have found that this really has no effect. The fan runs, but I am not sure if the compressor is actually doing anything. I am now to the point where a 50 degree fridge is the best I get, ever. This machine can't be more than 6 or 7 years old.

Is this machine repairable (and how?) or do I start looking for new features?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 06 September 2005 - 04:18 AM

Hello, my warmed-over friend.

[user=3241]drumhopper[/user] wrote:

Is this machine repairable (and how?) or do I start looking for new features?

Undoubtedly, your refrigerator is repairable. I suggest you begin by removing the back wall inside the freezer to ascertain whether or not the evaporator has frozen over like so much Hell.

Allahu Akbar!

#3 drumhopper

drumhopper

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:18 AM

This morning I awoke to the surprise that the machine cooled last night. So next I checked the condenser and indeed some of my hell had frozen over. After I chipped away all the ice and thawed it, I restarted the fridge.

Now, however, it seems that it is holding a grudge and will not turn on more than the fan again.

I am hoping for a new cold control to arrive today. I don't have any idea if it will do the trick, however.

What should I try next?

If freezing coils is the problem, how do I keep it from happening again?

Thanks for your help!!

#4 drumhopper

drumhopper

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 06:38 PM

Once again my fridge is going on with it's indecisive ways of cooling. I've defrosted the ice that formed mostly around the wire harness at the top of the evaporator. I also replace the control that regulates the temperature in the freezer.

Now, once again all is thawing and I'm out of ideas. What could be causing this intermittent warming and thawing? It acts like the thermostat isn't working properly, but I think I just replaced that.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,403 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:37 PM

Defrost system failure. This page should help:

http://fixitnow.com/...efrigerator.htm

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 08 September 2005 - 05:45 AM

***Once again my fridge is going on with it's indecisive ways of cooling. I've defrosted the ice that formed mostly around the wire harness at the top of the evaporator****   ????  The whole evaperator should be frosted, not just ice at the top....this sounds more like a sealed system problem.  Can you please post the brand and model number in here and the age of the frig.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#7 drumhopper

drumhopper

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 05:43 PM

The model is an Amana SQD26VW and was made in 1999.
Talking to a friend who does maint. for a living, he thought maybe a coolant leak. Perhaps that or a bad defrost timer?

We can keep the fridge cold by manually defrosting the system a couple times a day so the compressor will cool the system again. But the freezer has to thaw each time, so we know it isn't working and we play with the defrost timer again.

I don't know what to try next. Any ideas?

Thanks!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics