Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Coldspot frig not cooling/freezer not working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OE812

OE812

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:46 AM

I have a Kenmore Coldspot refrigerator/freezer and it stopped cooling. About every minute or so, I can hear a noise like the compressor is trying to start but it doesn't.  The temperature controls on the frig and freezer have been adjusted to the coldest setting but still no cooling.  The frig was manufactured on 2/01 so is this a warranty issue? Even so, can you pinpoint what the likely failed part might be?

Thank You,

Jeff

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:36 AM

Kenmore Coldspot, Model#106.50546001...The compressor has a 5 year warranty, you pay labor after the first year.  Either the compressor is out or the start relay has gone bad.  The start relay is not under warranty, just the compressor it is attched to.  Since this has the Kenmore name on the front, but is in reality a Whirlpool frig. , you will have to deal with Sears if this is a bad compressor issue.  You  might try replacing the start relay with the OEM part, do not use geniric as this will void any warranty you have left on the compressor and the relay might not solve the problem.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 OE812

OE812

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:43 AM

I see by your signature, you serve North Texas. Do you service the Plano area?  Sears can't make it out here until tomorrow.

Thanks,

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:59 AM

No, that would be about 150 miles from here, do not think you would like my service call charge with miledge....;)...if it is infact a defective compressor only Sears can do the repairs anyway..surprised they will be there that soon, they are usually 1-2 weeks out.....
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:21 AM

Being there tomorrow is little short of miraculous....if it is the compressor, they'll have to order it, don't expect them back until the following Monday if that's the case.

As a general rule, sealed system warranty is 5 years parts and labour on anything with the Kenmore brand. You may be charged a trip charge (usually around $60-70).

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics