Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Sub-Zero Ice Maker acting flaky....

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 jtm

jtm

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 03:52 PM

Well.. I need some thoughts... I have a Sub-Zero model 550 Over/under Frig/Freezer...

the ice maker began acting flaky by only making ice every so often... then it completely stopped..:yikes:

I just replaced the Water solenoid valve... hoping for a cheap fix.... and.... it never receives a signal to open....? ... line to ice tray is not frozen or blocked...

could there be ice frozen in the tray?... maybe the heater stopped working... nothing seems broken or stripped...??

Should I just replace the complete ice make assembly?  I'm not sure if I can buy individual components...?.. nevr done this before..

Thanks, Jeff

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 xingu

xingu

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 03:05 PM

I have the same model and had a similar problem.  The icemaker stopped working altogether.  I ordered a replacement icemaker, installed it and it still won't work.  I don't know what is wrong.  It seems that water won't enter the icemaker.  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks.

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,158 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:31 PM

Both grasshoppers: make sure the fill tube is clear of ice plugs. If that's good then...

grasshopper jtm: replace the icemaker assembly:

http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=818945

grasshopper xingu: replace the water inlet valve:

http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=753858

#4 jtm

jtm

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 04:22 AM

Thanks for the response... what is the best way to check the filler tube for ice plugs... shoud I run something into the tube.. like a soft wire.... or blow hot air at it...?

if the tube is plugged what would be causing that to happen every so often?

another curoius thought... What if I manually filled the ice maker tray with cold water... let it freeze... would this then signal the ice maker assembly to cycle and kick-out the ice??

If the fill tube seems to be clear and free... are there any specifics I should know about replacing the ice maker assembly... is it just a bolt-in and connect the wiring harness?.. I have not replaced one before..

Thank you for the assist... Jeff

#5 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 08 September 2005 - 05:52 AM

Hello, my hot air-blowing friend. On your particular refrigerator, you will need to remove the freezer door and then remove the icemaker so that you can adequately inspect the fill tube. Usually, a flashlight provides sufficient illumination for this purpose. Of course, the light of even the most powerful flashlight seems like that of a single candle compared to the brilliance of our esteemed and vain-glorious host, Samurai Appliance Repair Man. You are indeed privileged to have received instruction from him; he holds the world record for consuming the most poppy flowers in a single sitting and then living to tell about it.

Ah, but I digress. What were the other incessant queries you had? Oh yes, I see them here. Let's see...

A fill tube that periodically plugs is usually caused by a leaking water inlet valve. Since you have already replaced this part, you have likely corrected this problem if, indeed, it existed.

Manually filling the icemaker would succeed only in freezing the water in the icemaker mold and would do nothing to initiate the harvest cycle.

The icemaker kit which our dear host linked you to in his last gracious reply to you is the exact replacement for the icemaker in your refrigerator. Replacement is simply a matter of removing the obvious retaining hardware. If you find even this step to be challenging, you may consider hiring an economy appliance repair servicer near you to do the installation for you.

Allahu Akbar!

#6 jtm

jtm

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:34 AM

Thank you for the additional information...

I will remove the assembly and investigate further this evening... 

..my gut says I will be ordering a complete ice maker assembly in the very near future..:?

...In addition... I plan to avoid hiring any "economicy repair monkeys" ...!  Thanks....

#7 jtm

jtm

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 12:15 PM

Well.. I took out the ice maker assembly Friday night and guess what I found..... No.... the fill tube was not iced up.... but to my amazement.... when I unplugged the wiring harness... the big thick red wire just fell out of the plastic connector!! ... I am guessing that this wire is for the Heater... ?

THUS... could this be my problem??? The wire has a black plastic  part molded to it... what is that... I also notic a small metal clip... it was not hooked to anything... what is that??

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.... could fixing this wire resolve my problem? I took the complete ice maker assembly apart... everything looked fine... contacts looked good.. etc...nothing broken etc...

I'm going to the home store to get a cheap pair of wire strippers so I can get that wire back into the connector...!!! will this be a problem??... can I just push the wire into the plastic connector..

Ready for some ice....!!!

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,158 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 04:57 PM

Good find! Sounds like you whupped up on that one. Post a picture of what you found and the subsequent repair.

#9 jtm

jtm

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 02:37 AM

Sure... I will grab a pic today and post... 

I'm not sure how to get that wire back in the connector?  I'm guessing there are some special type of push pin tool that let you securely open the connection to get the wire pushed in place??

any suggesstions would be great... Jeff

#10 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 11 September 2005 - 03:28 AM

Hello, my push-pin friend. You may or may not be able to replace the wire into the harness depending upon exactly how the wire was separated from the harness connector. A photograph of the offending area would help us appraise the situation and advise you on the best recommended repair.

Allahu Akbar!

#11 jtm

jtm

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:45 AM

Here is a picture of my problem...

can I push the pin out.... recrimp to the wire .... then reinsert the pin?

... or do I need to get a new pin? ...can I get a new pin? .... is this a standard size??

... these is no way I'm replacing this harness for a broken wire....!

take a look and guide me to my next step.... thanks, Jeff

Attached Files

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,158 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:11 AM

Oh my, that broke off right in the harness! There's no reliable repair for that-- you'll have to replace the whole harness. I don't have a part number on that. Call the good folks over at RepairClinic, they'll look it up fer ya:
800-269-2609
M-F 8:30am - 9:00 pm; Sat 8:30-5 ET

#13 jtm

jtm

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 11:10 AM

well .... I just popped out the pin whihc waslocated in the plastic harness connector... the connector did not break.. the wire had just pulled free of the crimp job on the pin... i'm going to try an recrimp the wire to the connector and push it back in... without breaking the small pin...

...if the small pin breaks... where can I get another pin?....

... if it just doesn't seem to work... and I have to buy a n ew harness.. how far back does that harness run??  does it have a junction right behind the little silver box located on the inside upper left back corner of the freezer... or does it run farther up the back of the frig?

If I have to pull out this built-in 550 unit.. I would rather pull my hair out  :dude:.

#14 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 11 September 2005 - 11:20 AM

Believe those pins are available at Radio Shack, take yours and match up since they come in several different sizes.  We use them all of the time, be sure you get the male or female end, whichever broke.  Should be easy to repair..
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#15 jtm

jtm

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 11:26 AM

Great.... I heading up there...

quicj question... I know this sounds silly.... but.... what is the proper way to put this back together... I pushed the old pin out the front of the plastic connector....

before I recrimp the pin to the wire.....

.....should I pull the wire throught connector... then recrimp the wire...and then push the pin back in from the front of the plastic connector....

OR.... should I recrimp the pin on the loose wire and then push the pin in from the backside of the plastic harness connector...

Thanks, Jeff

#16 jtm

jtm

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 04:57 PM

no pins at radio shack... where the heck can I get them...??

stumped..! Jeff

#17 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 05:00 PM

Humm, we order them from an appliance supply dist., find someplace that works on sterios etc., check with some appliance repair shops in your area, they are bound to have some.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#18 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 05:10 PM

Or see if someone has that harness end and splice in the whole connection part to your wiring in the frig, perhaps someone has a frig like this they are going to scrap out and will let you cut the connector off leaving enough wire to splice in with.  Push the pin into the connector after you attach the wire from the rear, there are sharp metal hook that lock it into the plastic if you find just the pin.  If all else fails just direct splice your wires doing away with the plug in connector but you will have a harder time in the future if you have to remove the ice maker, might just want to just run this red wire around the plug in block so just one would have to be cut and spliced, adding a bit of wire so it would reach. Or put a male and female plug on terminal on the wire ends so you could just unplug it in the future and seal it with something to keep water out of the wires...

#19 jtm

jtm

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:10 PM

Thanks for the information...

i will be on the hunt for another pin... is there a proper name for that type of pin... I will be making some calls in the AM... might help... 

...stay tuned....!

question.... Is the red wire for the Heater... or is that a ground wire? ... it has no voltage.... but it has that rubber isolator to keep it from touching the ice tray..?? what's that all about...?

#20 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 01:15 AM

If I remember correctly, the red wire is the main power wire for the icemaker, the black thing on the wire is a thermal fuse which could have shorted out if that loose wire shorted against something or even just from the high current draws from the loose wire.

So, if your not getting 110volts out of the red wire there's a good chance you're going to have to replace that wiring harness any way, it should unplug behind the freezer panel that it runs back into.

I couldn't find the icemaker wiring harness in the Subzero info but here is one from a regular Whirlpool that may be the same as yours.
2187464 Ice Maker wiring harness $24.30 CLICK HERE to order
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics