Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Richmond (Rheem) 6G40S-36-F Gas Hot Water Heater Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JimBonesMA

JimBonesMA

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:50 AM

I have a Richmond (Rheem, I think) 6G40S-36-F Gas Hot Water Heater.  The pilot goes out and never comes up to temp.  I suspected the thermocouple and replaced it but did not solve the problem.  I would appreciate any helpful suggestions from you guru's as to what else it may be.  Maybe I need a whole burner unit replacement (controls and all) if I can get one????

It has a six year warranty and it is months away from expiring.  I haven't contacted Richmond (Rheem) to see what they will do for me as yet.  That's a Monday AM tele call.

Thanks, Jim

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,656 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:36 AM

All these new FVIR (flammable vapor ignition resistant) design water heaters need periodic maintenance.

People think they are just install and forget like the water heaters of old, NOT SO!!!

This problem is usually caused by the air intake area being clogged with lint and dust, read your user manual and it should have recommended cleaning procedures, usually suggested to be done every 6 months.

Your air intakes are on the sides of your water heater, (the big grid of holes on each side of the gas control valve/T-stat).  I've never dealt with this style so don't know the recommended cleaning procedure, most likely have to disassemble and remove burner and blow compressed air from inside burner chamber to force any lint and dust back out the side it came in on.

When this style of water heater starts getting its air intake plugged it will make the pilot keep going out, as the flame isn't getting enough air to burn correctly and the combustion chamber overheats which shuts the unit down on the safety t-stat that is inline with the thermocouple or possibly a separate t-stat on the combustion chamber cover.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 JimBonesMA

JimBonesMA

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:52 AM

Thank you for the suggestion.  Funny because I was thinking maybe it was the exhaust ... something restricting it.  I'll find the manual online (Rheem site) and see what they recommend and follow up.

Thanks, Jim

#4 JimBonesMA

JimBonesMA

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:39 AM

No go yet. Hot water heater turns on and starts up fine. It runs for 20-25 minutes and both the burner and pilot go out together. The water in the tank gets warm but never really comes up to temp (hot-hot). Thermostat is way up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics