Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Oven Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wizguber

wizguber

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 05:16 PM

Greetings Goo Roo's and thanks in advance for any help. 

GE Model number (from the tag, read with a flashlight) is a JKP45W0A2WW.  In a nutshell the bottom unit (double oven top & bottom) won't heat up.  Grab a beer this is a long story....

Some history.  About 6-mo ago the top oven stopped baking while the bottom unit worked ok.  Armed with a little knowledge and the internet, I order and replaced the thermostat as well as the bake element thinking I'd kill all birds with few stones.  The top oven returned to operation, but would not heat as fast as the bottom unit.  Wife complained...I learned to ignore it.  Top oven eventually gets to temperature.  Most interesting is that I had time to play with the "bad" parts.  The bake element had no outward problems and measured 21-ohms resistance.  The thermostat was around 1k-ohm at room temp.  Both sound good compared to stuff I've since read.  This (top) oven with "new and improved parts" still operates.

This weekend, the bottom (ole faithful) oven stopped working.  No broil, no bake.  I gingerly pulled the bake element and got 20-ohms end-to-end with no shorts.  Also pulled the thermostat element and verified operation...1019 ohms at room temp and the resistance increases when heat applied.  Also I re-installed the thermostat, turned the oven to BAKE and then held a flame under the thermostat.  Temperature reading on the digital display changed from 100 deg-F and increased up to 400 deg-F as expected.  Looks like the thermostat feedback to the controller display is working.  Still no joy on oven operations.

When I enable any of the oven modes, I can hear the control relays clicking, but have not verified any power is being switched.  I pulled the control panel away from the oven (with the breakers OFF) and can see that everything looks nice and tidy, but have not probed the control board. 

Is it worth trying to debug this control board?  Is this the next likely culprit?  Do these things break?

Thanks !

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,831 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 07 September 2005 - 04:26 PM

Konichiwa. In your wanderings through the innards of your range, you probably stumbled across the wiring diagram and schematic for this range. I need to see those. Post them here in this thread as attachments. If you don't have scanning capability, fax them to me at 775-416-4449.

#3 wizguber

wizguber

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 05:29 AM

OK. Found the schematics and scanned them.  Four Documents total:  (2) front page and (2) back page.  Because of file size limits, I'll send these as separate posts.  In the past couple days the top oven has now stopped working also.

Got a suggestion to look at the limit switch.

Again, thanks for the help.

Attached Files

#4 wizguber

wizguber

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 05:31 AM

Page 2 of 4 attached schematics.

Attached Files

#5 wizguber

wizguber

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 05:32 AM

Page 3 of 4:  Back side.

Attached Files

#6 wizguber

wizguber

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 05:32 AM

Finally ! 

Page 4 of 4:  Back Side.

Attached Files

#7 wizguber

wizguber

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 11:26 AM

I bring tidings of great joy to the appliantology altar. 

After looking at the schematics and testing everything I could from the front, I pulled the whole oven out of the wall and removed all the wiring covers.  Turns out the circuit to all the heating elements was not getting closed.  Traced back further to the control board relays that connect Line-1 and Line-2 to each of the elements.  Took the control boards off the unit and after some close examination found that the solder joints that connect source power to the boards were LOUSY !  I don't consider myself a solder gun jockey, but give me a break.  The poor joints had obviously seen some over-heating.  I cleaned 'em up and using a man-sized gun (no offense) applied fresh solder around the relays.  Joints that were bad were the feeder joints that supply (connect) the line voltages for both the BROIL and BAKE elements.  Which explains why everything seemed dead.

After a quick re-assembly, I've got relays clicking...240V across the elements and oven HEAT !!

Ahhh.  Not bad for a Saturday Afternoon.  Miller Time !

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,831 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 10 September 2005 - 04:42 PM

That is an inspiring repair story, even more incredible because it was your first real repair of this kind (that I'm aware of anyway-- if you're an old hand at this, don't tell me because it diminishes the fascination appeal :P).

Great work! I definitely marking this thread as one of the selected ones both for the unique findings and because it serves as a beacon of inspiration for other grasshoppers. I've also promoted you to an Apprentice Appliantologist. Congratulations! :cheers:

P.S. If you get a chance to post photos of the offending solder joints and your repair, that would be much appreciated. :dude:

#9 wizguber

wizguber

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 05:54 PM

I'd love to post pics just for braggin rights, but now that I've reassembled the oven and the control panel, there's NO WAY I'm taking it apart again.  Thanks again for the insight and for such a great website !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics