Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG front loading washing machine is flooding, model wm2487hwma.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mstjohn9

mstjohn9

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:32 AM

Hey folks,

I recently reinstalled a 2-year-old LG front loading washer after an extensive home renovation project that included new plumbing and greatly increased water pressure.

Since then the previously problem-free machine has been filling on its own, sometimes slowly and sometimes very quickly, after it's finished its cycle and is presumably off.

The first time it filled I got an error code indicating a water inlet valve problem. But after running the machine I've had intermittent periods of slow or no filling and no further error codes even when it's filled to the middle of the door.

On some occasions, the problem has disappeared temporarily after I drained the drum completely using the hose near the pump filter. Other times, this hasn't had much effect. 

I've had a possibly related problem with a stopped up shower head caused by trash in the supply lines. But I haven't been able to get to the inlets to check because of the tight fit in the utility closet. I also haven't been able to check the drain hose for a potential siphoning problem, though I don't suspect this as the cause because the water in the drum has been clear.

What do you think? Test the water pressure first, then remove and inspect the valve for any trash that may be keeping it open? Then replace it if if no trash can be found? Or maybe this beleaguered novice is completely off base.

Mstjohn9

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:04 AM

[user=66344]mstjohn9[/user] wrote:

... extensive home renovation project that included new plumbing ...

... machine has been filling on its own, ... is presumably off.

... stopped up shower head caused by trash in the supply lines.

... remove and inspect the valve for any trash that may be keeping it open? ... Then replace it if if no trash can be found?

Sounds like sediment inside the Water Valves ...

You could try "flushing" each Water Valve by disconnecting one Hose from the House Faucet end, and placing into a Bucket.

Start by disconnecting the cold Water Hose end.

Run a warm Wash Cycle.

some hot water will back-flow out the cold Water Hose.

Repeat with hot Water hose..

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 mstjohn9

mstjohn9

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:34 AM

I'll check it out. Thanks a bunch.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,807 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:42 AM

Water inlet valve assembly part link ==> Click

#5 mstjohn9

mstjohn9

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:08 AM

Just some information.

This washer wants to fill on its own after completing a full cycle. But if I drain the drum completely, it seems to stop until I do another load. That seems to indicate a siphoning problem to me, but I still won't know until I can move it past some plumbing obstacles and take a look at the drain hose.

#6 denrayr

denrayr

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:20 AM

[user=66344]mstjohn9[/user] wrote:

Hey folks,

I recently reinstalled a 2-year-old LG front loading washer after an extensive home renovation project that included new plumbing and greatly increased water pressure.

Since then the previously problem-free machine has been filling on its own, sometimes slowly and sometimes very quickly, after it's finished its cycle and is presumably off.

The first time it filled I got an error code indicating a water inlet valve problem. But after running the machine I've had intermittent periods of slow or no filling and no further error codes even when it's filled to the middle of the door.

On some occasions, the problem has disappeared temporarily after I drained the drum completely using the hose near the pump filter. Other times, this hasn't had much effect. 

I've had a possibly related problem with a stopped up shower head caused by trash in the supply lines. But I haven't been able to get to the inlets to check because of the tight fit in the utility closet. I also haven't been able to check the drain hose for a potential siphoning problem, though I don't suspect this as the cause because the water in the drum has been clear.

What do you think? Test the water pressure first, then remove and inspect the valve for any trash that may be keeping it open? Then replace it if if no trash can be found? Or maybe this beleaguered novice is completely off base.

Mstjohn9

how high is it? also, did you flush the lines before reconnecting the washer? after doing plumbing work, there will be debris knocked loose in the lines. If this debris isnt flushed out, it will end up in the water valves.
RedRock Appliance Service

435-773-7838

www.redrockrepair.com

Serving St George and Southern Utah

#7 mstjohn9

mstjohn9

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:01 AM

Hi Denrayr,

We've had problems with lines that were not flushed before ithe installation of such things as the showerhead -- and it's possible we've got trash in the washer lines, too.

A previous post suggested a way to flush out both lines, and that's the first thing on my to-do list once I get past the obstructions left by a plumber. But I'm also worried that the drain hose was installed in a way that has created a siphoning problem. If I drain the machine manually after a cycle finishes, the flooding usually stops until I run another load.

#8 mstjohn9

mstjohn9

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:23 AM

Finally got some access to the back of this stacked washer-dryer unit.

Reached past all the plumbing obstructions left by a careless boiler guy and discovered that the equally careless installer had pushed about 3 feet or more of the drain hose down into the new drain pipe. The last foot or so was covered with slime from being in standing gray water from the machine.

I'm thinking this oversight created a siphoning condition and caused the drum to flood after the wash cycle was over.

Pushed the hose back in about 8-10 inches and ran 3 consecutive loads without the previous flooding symptoms.

Looks like we've got a simple fix for now -- and I'll be shortening the hose and installing the missing retainer, which I found in a box -- as soon as I'm able to get the machine out a little farther.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics