Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Performa D/W - motor quit?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 czubryt

czubryt

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 08:35 AM

Hello all,

I have a Performa model PDB4600AWX, only 2.5 years old(!), and the motor seems to have quit. If I start a cycle, the D/W fills with water and heats fine, but then - nothing. I can hear the relay click to go into the regular wash cycle, but the motor doesn't start. After a couple of minutes, the "Clean" and "Rinse" LEDs start to flash, which Maytag calls a "Motor hot connection" trouble indicator. Maytag says that it could be a motor failure, or it could be the connections to the motor. Any suggestions on how I could test this for myself? I have a meter, but am a novice with it. If the motor is dead, I'll likely replace the whole D/W (it seems the motors are pretty unreliable on these units), since the motor and pump must be replaced as a unit (about $280 CDN where I live).

Any advice (on testing, whether to replace the D/W or attempt repair, etc) is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Kiwi-nadian

Kiwi-nadian

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:06 AM

Here is a link to help with testing. Sorry I cant help with the disassembly side

http://fixitnow.com/...on-making.htm:(
please help us to help you, http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,177 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:06 PM

Just remove the kickplate from the front bottom of the dishwasher by removing the obvious screws. The motor is right there. Easiest way to test is using a voltage sensing light stick.

#4 czubryt

czubryt

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 11:54 AM

Thank you both for your suggestions.

I took off the toeplate. The motor has a large connector running to it with four wires (in order from the left): blue, gray, yellow and red. There are two sets of windings, one above the magnet and one below. I can provide a picture if needed. Perhaps there are two pairs of leads to run the motor in either direction? I don't know which leads go with which (I don't have a schematic), but I tried to test for resistance across all pairs of leads. Here is what I got (all readings are in ohms) (power disconnected):

Blue - Gray: 7.0
Blue - Red: 7.0
Blue - Yellow: 2.8
Gray - Red: 13.8
Gray - Yellow: 9.5
Red - Yellow: 9.5

I have no idea if these values are what I should expect - any insight would be appreciated. I am heartened by the fact that I don't get any "wide open" connections - hopefully the motor isn't blown. FYI, the motor is 6.5 amps at 120 volts. My next step will be to try to remove the control panel, although I'm not sure how to test it. Perhaps the controller is screwed up. Again, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much,
Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics