Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Microwave. Turntable doesn't turn any more

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 John Pilot

John Pilot

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 11:10 AM

This Wave came with the new home.  After 2 years the Turn table just up and quit turning.  I am thinking it is the little motor that turns the Plate.  I have found the plate for sale on the web and I have the exploded view of the microwave oven but I don't know where to start first to take this thing apart to replace the motor?  Is there a step by step I can down load or could you please help me with do I take the door off or start from the Bottom up?:bananadance:

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 08 September 2005 - 12:17 PM

First you need to see if it is the motor that is bad. Usually you find the relay or switch that powers the motor and see if you have voltage.

It's good you want to fix it, but microwaves are better left to professionals. A novice could hurt themselves working on a microwave.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#3 John Pilot

John Pilot

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 12:28 PM

Ouch.   I would hate to get hurt but it is probably try it or buy a new one.  I think I can install new one as cheap as a service call.  How can I check the part you are speeking of.  And by the way.  when you said I could get hurt what were you speeking of?  I like to try things, I am very handy but don't want to be recklessly  dangerous.

By the way when I mash the Turntable button to off the tray stays still then I turn it on and it slowly starts to move but only turns about 1 inch then stops.

#4 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:49 PM

The answers you seek are here

#5 John Pilot

John Pilot

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 04:33 AM

Thank You Jedi Master!   I am so amazed at this Web site.  I would of never thought I could of ever gotten this good info anywhere.

#6 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 04:39 PM

Dude, You're welcome.   People are now writing my boss a check for $75.00 just for my diagnosis.  The samurai runs this site out of his own pocket and he can only hope that once in a while people will buy their replacement parts from his site or maybe contribute to the beer fund. 

#7 John Pilot

John Pilot

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 02:32 AM

I tested last night and the motor is getting the 21V when the Microwave is on and the motor is giveing a good OHM reading.  When I take the plate off it will turn the gear but when I put the plate back on the gear moves slightly then stops.

Hey by the way how do you get that gear off the motor.  you know the gear that matches up with the glass plate turntable? 

Thanks.

#8 John Pilot

John Pilot

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 12:07 PM

How do I take the small plastic gear off of the small elec motor.  The gear is the one that fits up against the glass turntable.  Is it glued or do I need to pull hard or is there some Secret to disconnect it?

#9 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 03:38 PM

The motor just slides up into the bottom of the brown plastic star thing that you see from inside your oven cavity.  It could be melted together or just stuck with whatever fluid that spilled over and killed your motor.  Pull a little harder. 

#10 John Pilot

John Pilot

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 03:42 AM

Wow thanks I had no idea the plastic wheel stayed in the cavidy of the microwave.  when I unscrewed the motor it droped out just like it should. 

I am so happy my Microwave now works like new and I  bought the part from the recomended page even though it was a few $ higher since I could of not done it without you.

Thanks.

#11 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 07:00 PM

Like the Tin Man and the Scare Crow the Force was within you the whole time.   Like Excalibur this power must only be used for good.   You are welcome.   May the Force be with you.

#12 myagnomen

myagnomen

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:57 PM

[user=2]Jedi Appliance Guy[/user] wrote:

The answers you seek are here

It seems that the link is broken.  Would you please re-post?

Thank you

#13 jehiatt

jehiatt

IkkĊ-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:16 PM

What about the plate support roller ring? Does this unit have one and could the rollers be clogged with food?
J woody

#14 myagnomen

myagnomen

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:46 PM

I replaced motor as above, works great! Never had a problem with food in rollers (wouldn't want to eat out of microwave that had that much mystery grossness under the plate and in the rollers without prior sterilization). Just follow the master's directions and you will be most happy you did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics