Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Fisher & Paykel hot and cold water

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_Paul D_*

Lurker_Paul D_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 21 April 2005 - 01:05 PM

No mater where you set the control you can only get hot water for wash and rinse. Yesterday I could only get all cold. Bothe valves aro on. No lights on washer ar flashind to indicate problem.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,712 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:07 PM

A reply from Bob:

The situation you speak of may not necessarily be a problem. You may not be aware of it, but Fisher Paykel is a "HIGH EFFICIENCY" machine, and one of the ways it achieves this is to conduct virtually all wash cycles at about 56 or 58 degrees. The Only time you will actually feel HOT water entering the machine is during the pre wash cycle when only a small amt of water enters. At the conc. of the pre wash cycle the machine then proceeds to fill to a normal looking level but the water will be cooler that what you would expect had you selected HOT.
It is possible to bypass the factory settings to get a tub full of HOT water should you desire it. You will need to consult the user manual to do that tho.
Ive had some peole return the machine bacause of this feature. They want HOT for Whites, etc.....

Bob Sankie
Coastal Appliance Heating & AC
North County San Diego
"If you didn't call us, you paid too much"
http://www.coastalappliance.net

#3 Lurker_Paul D_*

Lurker_Paul D_*

Posted 22 April 2005 - 01:28 AM

Bob, thanks for your help. This is my daughters washer, and she is very dissatified with it because her clothes will not come clean. It's been this way since she purchased it two years ago. Every so often she will bring some of the whites over our house to wash them in our Maytag. Before she bought the F & P she had a Whirlpool which she never had a problem, so she does know the difference. When I tried to help with her problem thats when I noticed that no matter where I set the water temp, It comes out cold. I'm not talking warm, but cold. If I turn the cold faucet off, nothing comes out. The other day I could not get it to go cold, even if I changed the setting from hot to warm to cold. It makes no difference. You are most likely right with your answer, but I do not understand why the hot, warm and cold switches are on the panel, if they do nothing.

thanks

#4 jophil28

jophil28

Unsui

• Master Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 08:07 PM

Paul, I repair F&P washers "down under - that would be Australia" > I suspect that there is a problem with the Motor Control Board in your washer. What Model do you have?
There is a little sticker on the rear panel with a Model#
such as MW 078 etc.. Regards . John P/
John P -'down under'.

#5 asteysn2

asteysn2

Asteysn2

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Newcastle, Watneys, Stone's IPA

Posted 23 April 2005 - 09:51 PM

The Hot & Cold selectors, believe it or not are for setting the temp of the pre wash water temp. (The first part that just fills about an inch and then re circulates for 5 min...)
If there is no HOT at all there is a problem. You need to get it into diagnostics (re: the sheet inside the console) and see if the hot water valve will actuate when its called for. If it does, the problem is probably going to reside inside the expensive motor control module
Robert Sankey
Coastal Appliance, Heating & Air
email: coastalserve@gmail.com

#6 Lurker_J Lockley_*

Lurker_J Lockley_*

Posted 25 April 2005 - 01:05 PM

I have a new Fisher and Paykel machine, well researched before buying, but

The wash temperature is barely warm. After shooting in one inch of hot water, the machine fills the tank with cold. It absolutely does not get laundry anywhwere near clean.  (It seems to me deceptive to say you have five heat settings when there is but one, but I'm fussy that way.)

At anyway my emails to the Fisher Paykel  people indicate that A) I am doing something wrong and b) It's supposed to be cold. At last I have this positive piece of information:

"The permanent press cycle is the only cycle that will fill with warm water and wash in the traditional way. If you would like to do a traditional hot water wash, you can "trick" the machine. It is easier for you to call us for instructions on how to do this."

As a 60 year old linguist with a focus on lexus (appropriate word usage), and considering myself a lady witha comprehensive vocabulary, I would describe the performance of this new not at all cheap jewel as "sucks" with the admonition to get a cheap Kenmore, which did a great job for me for some 20 years before throwing in the towel.

If you are going to save energy by doing a lousy job,  you could at least say so.

On the other hand, I found this site, so something is good.

#7 Lurker_J Lockley_*

Lurker_J Lockley_*

Posted 25 April 2005 - 01:30 PM

Let me add:

The answer to this is apparently to do a "cleaning" cycle as described in the manual: Click on permanent press and keep the hot button pressed down until the machine beeps. While this is a small annoyance any one time, I am kicking myself for paying twice what I would have spent on a Kenmore that simply works and gets clothes clean. 

#8 denrayr

denrayr

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 04:36 PM

Most of the people I talk to with the f&p washer love it more than any other washer they have ever had. the most common problem i run into with these and front load washers is that people cant get out of the mind set of "if i add more soap the clothes will get cleaner". the wash action is so much stronger on your washer and on front loads that you have to use a detergent labeld as h.e. or high efficiency. also your washer uses less water so you will need to use far less soap. suds are bad mmmkay.
RedRock Appliance Service

435-773-7838

www.redrockrepair.com

Serving St George and Southern Utah

#9 Ornery

Ornery

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:05 AM

"It is possible to bypass the factory settings to get a tub full of HOT water should you desire it."

"The answer to this is apparently to do a "cleaning" cycle as described in the manual:"

Thanks for the help from both of you, and particularly to Scott for an awesome site!

I'd like to permanently change my Heavy Duty, or "Favorite" cycle to wash and rinse in hot only water.  Is there a way to program that in?  BTW, it's a model GWL10 from July 2001.

TIA, Ornery

#10 Ornery

Ornery

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 10:35 AM

Dear Mr Lawrence

Unfortunately, what you are looking for is not possible.

You are able to do a traditional hot fill and not use the eco active wash,
but you have to use the permanent press, which is a gentler agitation and a
slow spin speed.

The only way to do what you want is to select permanent press hot, let the
machine fill up and then pause it.  Once the machine is paused, turn the
power off and re-start it.  Then select heavy duty and fast spin speed and
press start.

Kind Regards
Customer Care Team
:-)
Please include ALL previous correspondence on your reply to the email.

USA/CANADA
*: 1-800-863-5394 - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
*: 1-800-547-1971
*: 5900 Skylab, Huntington Beach  CA  92647
* : www.usa.fisherpaykel.com
*: customer.care@fisherpaykel.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics