Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool won't completely make ice

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JScritch

JScritch

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 05:44 PM

Need some help. Up until 2 days ago my ice maker has worked flawlessly. We emptied a full ice tray into a cooler and ever since then I've had maybe 8 pieces of ice a day.

It dispenses water in the tray just fine and seems to start the freeze cycle ok. Then, as the lever pushes the 8 ice wedges up it gets almost to point of pushing them out and then stops. I can pull the ice wedges out and manually push/pull on the lever in the tray and it will start the cycle again, only to stop at the same point.

What happened? What can I do to fix this? I looked at the gear on front and it looks fine (no stripped teeth or anything).

Specifics:

- Whirlpool model: ED5FHEXMQ00 with Ice Maker Plus

- Manufacturer Date: 11/03

- UltraEase Filter (which is orange now instead of green)

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,450 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 09 September 2005 - 03:08 AM

Measure your freezer temp, make sure you're around 0F.

If temp is good, replace the icemaker:

http://fixitnow.com/...-day-buying.htm

#3 JScritch

JScritch

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 03:44 AM

What's the rationale behind replacing the icemaker? Not that I'm saying that's wrong, but I would like to know the reasons behind it.

My thought is that the heater isn't working and the ice cubes are freezing in the process of ejection and causing the problem. If that's the case, is there a way to replace the heating element on the front without replacing the whole icemaker?

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 09 September 2005 - 06:41 AM

If the mold heater, that is on the bottom of the ice mold, not on the front of the ice maker, was bad, the ice would not have gotten loose from this ice mold to get pushed up to the almost point you are describing. To check, feel the bottom of the ice maker while it is in the harvest cycle to see if it is hot, it will burn you skin if it is on....runs right around the bottom outside edge of this mold, is silver so you can actually see it.  Now, you either have an ice cube hanging on the stripper or you have a defect in the board in the head.  If the ice is not hanging on the stripper preventing it from falling into the ice bin sounds like the motor is not running to complete the cycle.  If this has the ice bin in the door there is an updated ice maker head and stripper kit to address this hanging on the stripper problem.  If this has the bin not in the door this will not apply.  Now when the ice maker hangs in the almost spot, is the gear turning or just sort of sitting there or rocking back and fourth a little, assuming this is not doing this while the rake is actually resting against the ice and the ice is not budging from the ice mold.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 06:47 AM

The two prongs sticking out in the bottom front of the ice maker ref # 20 in this drawing is part of the defrost heater, which is attached to the bottom of the ice mold. Looks like is not avilable seperate if this is your problem, which we do not suspect at this time, and no you do not have the ice in the door style frig. 

Posted Image

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#6 JScritch

JScritch

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 06:47 AM

The gear is not turning or rocking, it is just sitting still. Only after I forcibly pull the ice completely out (which is quite diffcult) will the gear begin to turn again and the water is let in and cycle starts over.

The ice bin is NOT in the door, but inside the freezer itself.

Based on what you saying then is that the circuit for the motor, or the motor itself, is bad and I will need to replace the entire ice maker assembly??

How would I know if the ice is hanging on the stripper? I really have to work to get it out when it stops on the verge of falling into the bin.

#7 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:17 AM

This is one of the "Acceler-Ice" units. Sounds like there's an issue with one of the contacts in the module (item 35). As a general rule, it's just as economic to replace a complete icemaker, but given the amount of peripheral stuff here, module replacement would be the way to go.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#8 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 11:33 AM

Pegi had posted with the drawing ....""The two prongs sticking out in the bottom front of the ice maker ref # 20 in this drawing is part of the defrost heater, which is attached to the bottom of the ice mold. Looks like is not avilable seperate if this is your problem, which we do not suspect at this time,***** and no you do not have the ice in the door style frig.  *****"""

I had already confirmed you did not have the ice in the door design......posted in the previous post.   You might need to see why the ice is hanging against the stripper if the rake begins to rotate after these have been romoved, perhaps the ice cubes are too large or too small, might need to adjust the fill time  if this is so.   Or see if some of the stripper fingers are bent...sometimes the back ice cube will jam up against the fill cup in the rear of the ice maker, do some visual on this problem..

#9 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 09 September 2005 - 02:50 PM

Hello, my rocking friend. May I provide the direct link for the ice maker control module? Very well, it is here.

Allahu Akbar!

#10 JScritch

JScritch

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:39 AM

Well, over the weekend things got worse. I didn't even have a chance to work on it either.

Now, it dispensed water into the cup and is now a solid frozen block in the bottom of the cup. I felt the heater strip along the bottom and it's not even warm to the touch.

Now what?? Should I just break down and replace the whole assembly at this point?

Thanks again for the help.

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,450 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:38 AM

Just gut the whole thing and get a new icemaker kit:

http://fixitnow.com/...-day-buying.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics