Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore microwave 665.61701100 quit.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 bamamike

bamamike

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 04:05 PM

I was using the microwave last night and it just quit. I checked the circuit breaker and changed the 20amp ceramic fuse but it is still dead. I was told it could be the thermal fuse ,but I don't know where it is located.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 05:04 PM

Whirlpools have a pretty good tech sheet in them.  If you changed the fuse, you were real close to it.  Look for the tech sheet.  It has the answers you're seeking. Sometimes it is in a small black plastic bag and looks like some kind of insulation to the un-trained eye.

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 21 April 2005 - 05:18 PM

Just to connect the dots with what Jedi said, Bama, your Kenmore is made by Whirlpool.

But you knew that.

Tell me you did.

#4 bamamike

bamamike

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 05:03 PM

Thanks for the advice on the tech sheet. I will have to take the microwave off the wall tomorrow and look in the back. The ceramic fuse was behind the control panel so I haven't really got into yet. I thought I would try the ceramic fuse first.

I did know that kenmore was made by whirlpool but I have been having trouble finding my model number on the net

I will let you know if I fix it.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:19 PM

[user=316]bamamike[/user] wrote:

I checked the circuit breaker and changed the 20amp ceramic fuse but it is still dead.

and then you said:

The ceramic fuse was behind the control panel so I haven't really got into yet. I thought I would try the ceramic fuse first.

So which is it?

#6 bamamike

bamamike

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 02:48 AM

Was just saying I tried the fuse first because it was in the front. I will tear into the back this weekend.

#7 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 03:25 AM

The tech sheet is in the fron near the fuse.

#8 mopar X

mopar X

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 05:09 AM

When you get the microwave off the wall and remove cover there is a cavity thermal fuse in the off to the left front on top that usually opens up and causes microwave to be inoperative.Have also found burnt wire at this location

#9 asteysn2

asteysn2

Asteysn2

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Newcastle, Watneys, Stone's IPA

Posted 23 April 2005 - 09:30 PM

When you say the MW quit do you mean that there is NOTHING happening? Are there lights? Displays? ANYTHING? Or is it as dead as a door nail? As in its as dead as pulled out of the wall socket?:?
Robert Sankey
Coastal Appliance, Heating & Air
email: coastalserve@gmail.com

#10 bamamike

bamamike

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:35 AM

It is dead nothing works.

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 03:36 PM

That's gonna be either a blown line fuse if you're lucky, or a fried control board if you're not. If the fuse is good, then there's a chance you can repair the board. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it, though.

#12 mopar X

mopar X

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 03:39 PM

main power for microwave also runs through thermal cavity fuse if open will cause microwave to be dead did you check it?

#13 bamamike

bamamike

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 03:39 PM

OK I need some help. I got the microwave down and taken apart. First their is not a tech sheet anywhere in there. I have found 3 parts that look like the thermal protector on the repair clinic web site. The first one is on top of the microwave and it looks like item# 903783 on the repair clinic site. The other 2 is on the right side looking at the microwave 1 is up front under the ceramic fuse and the other 1 is in the center on the right side by the magnetron. My question is which one would you try first or do I need to look at a different part. Just to remind everybody , I was using it and everything went off. There is nothing that works no lights on control panel.

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 03:52 PM

[user=5]mopar X[/user] wrote:

When you get the microwave off the wall and remove cover there is a cavity thermal fuse in the off to the left front on top that usually opens up and causes microwave to be inoperative.Have also found burnt wire at this location

Let him who has ears to hear listen to the pearls from a Master.

#15 bamamike

bamamike

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 01:06 PM

OK I have just replaced the thermal protector and the microwave still don't work. What else could I try?

#16 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 01:17 PM

Was it bad to begin with?

If I were there at the service call and I didn't have a wiring diagram, I'd start with the main power wires and follow the hot leg in until I found where I was losing my 120v.

Never know what you'll find when you follow the yellow brick road. :tinkerbell:

#17 Lurker_visitor_*

Lurker_visitor_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 15 May 2005 - 12:59 PM

I have same problem. I repalced the fuse (main ceramic 20 amp) it last until I try to cook something. Blower, lights clock, all work until try to cook then fuse blows immediatly.

#18 russotto

russotto

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 01:15 PM

Visitor, sounds like the magnetron itself is bad.

#19 aberdeen in need of help

aberdeen in need of help

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:57 AM

We replaced the ceramic fuse - twice - in the microwave.  Its works for a day then quits.  Any other suggestions.  Our oven also just blacked out one day?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics