Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Washer MAV6057AWW won't spin

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 minddealing

minddealing

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 07:23 AM

Greetings!!  I am new to this board and appreciate any help you can offer me.  I have a Maytag Washer MAV6057AWW that doesn't seem to spin properly during the spin cycle.  It does pump the water out.  My bride told me a while ago that the clothes still seem very damp and the washer has been making noise, but was still working.  So I blew it off. ;)  Well that lasted another week or two until she told me it wasn't working at all. :( Go figure

So I removed the back cover and turned on the spin cycle (with no clothes inside) and it appeared to be working but somewhat noisy.  The noise sounded like what I would compare to a bad bearing.  I noticed there was black residue under the machine that looks like to be from the belt.  Although, the belt is still intact. 

I replaced the water pump 1.5 years ago and it seems to move freely (with belt removed).

I spun the motor by hand and that seems okay too.  Also, the center pulley moves freely one way and seems to agitate the other.

First question is:  How do I peel this banana?  How does the front cover and tub come off so I can get a better view?  Does the belt tighten automatically?  I noticed the motor seems to slide back and forth, which seems odd to me.  I am used to an automotive belt which is tightened and then a pulley is secured.

Any ides? Thanks in advance!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 minddealing

minddealing

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 07:50 AM

I noticed a lot of black residue near the motor only.  I think it's the belt, but why wouldn't it be everywhere?  I took some photos:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 10 September 2005 - 08:05 AM

best bet is to first remove the front cover- couple of release spring clips under the front top,abt 1 1/2- 2 in. from sides, top hinges back, 2 screws from inside of cabinet hold front panel on.check for any signs of water leak from bottom of tub as this is a sign of seal/bearing failure. you can now watch the goings on as the machine operates- motor movement is normal as belt is designed to slip while pumping water out. belt wear is also normal.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#4 minddealing

minddealing

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:15 AM

I wish I would have know how to take off the front panel last year when I replaced the water pump.  :yikes:It was a real PIA doing it from the rear.

Okay, I have exposed the front internal organs and turned on the spin cycle.  Of course it's working now, but sounds very loud.  Noise seems to be coming from the tub area.  ?  I guess I'm going to have to put some clothes in and retest. 

thanks, I'll keep you posted

#5 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:39 AM

if you have a bearing noise from the tub,you'll need to change the tub seal and bearing,however, i just did a check on the seal part # (21001536) and it now subs up to a high tourque transmission kit (21001867) which has an improved type of seal- this kit is well in excess of $200.00 and you will also require the upper bearing,and probably a thrust bearing and belt- not to mention all of the fun you will have trying to completely disassemble the unit  without the necessary tools etc.  you might just want to start looking for a suitable replacement washer.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#6 minddealing

minddealing

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:55 AM

:yikes::yikes: Ugg!!!   Do you have any suggestions on which unit to buy? We do a lot of laundry with 2 kids.

I thought Maytag was the one of the best, but apparently I was wrong.  The unit is maybe 5 years old and I already had to replace the water pump and now this happens.  Very disappointing. :( 

My wife is going to do another load and I'll inspect further.  I don't see any leaks, but the noise is definitely coming from the tub area.  Do you have an exploded view of what part you are referring to?

Thanks for the quick response!  Posted Image

#7 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 10:24 AM

unfortunately maytag of today is not the same as the 'ol lonely machines of the past and have gone downhill since the turn of the millenium when they ceased to produce the dependable care machines. as a replacement,it would depend whether you would be looking for a top load,or a front load machine- for top load,stick with whirlpool/kenmore as they are relatively simple machines,easy to service. as for front load, i like the l.g. units and have a keen interest in the staber although they are not easily available in canada so i have only seen what i can find on the internet,but worth a look. since i am basically computer illiterate,i'm sorry,i don't know how to post you a picture of the machine illustration,but the bearing i speak of is mounted in the gray colored plate that is bolted to the bottom of the outer tub; the seal is mounted into the top of the tub from the inside. perhaps someone more qualified with postings like pegi, or mad mac can post you an illustratio breakdown of you unit to identify these parts.

#8 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 10 September 2005 - 04:16 PM

I do not know Maytag washers, is this what you are wanting the breakdown of??  the tranny area?
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,642 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 10 September 2005 - 05:35 PM

[user=3322]minddealing[/user] wrote:

I have a Maytag Washer MAV6057AWW that doesn't seem to spin properly during the spin cycle.

This problem on this washer is usually caused by a worn belt. The photo you posted of your belt confirms this. You have to fix the obvious problems first and your belt is obviously bad. Come git you one:

http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=824667

#10 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 07:44 PM

thanx pegi, the bearing i speak of is key#10 in the illustration that pegi most graciously supplied us with, this is more than likely the source of your noise. and has failed due to the water getting through the seal above it.

#11 minddealing

minddealing

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 07:35 AM

Well I don't get.  It is spinning now, even with a load.  However, the noise is only present during the spin cycle and then it is a very loud bearing noise.  UGGG

I can replace the belt, but will it just get worn down again because of the bearing tension?

So is the consensus to replace the whole machine and stop fooling around with this Maytag?

I guess I only paid about $400 new.  What ever machine I get, I want to keep it simple because obviously they don't make them like they used to.

#12 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 11 September 2005 - 07:59 AM

Look for a nice simple Whirlpool,  Roper, Estate top load Direct drive, no electronic control boards, just simple timer, temp, and water level......easy to repair and none of these leaking seals/bearing issues.....and no belt either....stay away from the Elite and the Calypso nightmares too.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#13 minddealing

minddealing

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 12:46 PM

Sounds good.  I'm watching the sales now. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics