Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Washer partially drains, smells bad

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mcubed

Mcubed

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:36 AM

My GE washing machine WPSQ4160T2WW spins just fine, and seems to drain just fine, but after you take the clothes out, if you grab the agitator and shake it a little you can hear that there is water still in there that you can't see. I have pulled the drain line off of the back and gotten a fair amount of water out, but not all of it. After the next load, it will all be back. All of this was first noticed because the clothes smell aweful!

I have a new pump, will that fix my problem? And if so how the heck do I get the front panel off if this machine?

Thanks so much in advance for you advice.

Mike

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:47 AM

front panel is removed by first removing the 4 torx t-20 screws along the top of the control panel (where the timer etc are)- once the cnt'l panel is lifted out, you can slide the top forward and off(careful as lid switch wires remain attached)- this will expose the 2 screws that secure the front panel on- you may need to replace the pump,or you may have a blocked hose or pump, pump is located in the front r.h. corned and is easily accessible with front panel removed.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 Mcubed

Mcubed

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 01:37 PM

Got the front panel off. (Thanks, although mine was a little different). The pump looks like it is in good condition, and it spins freely. I replaced it, but would like to clean out the tub while I have it all apart, and before I try it.

But, now I can't get the air bell coupling off to expose the big nut that allows me to remove the spin basket. Any ideas?

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,636 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 10 September 2005 - 05:30 PM

This thread might help.

#5 Mcubed

Mcubed

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 07:48 PM

Those pics were truly worth a thousand words. Not only the same washer dryer as mine, but it looked like the same laundry room! I tried the claw hammer earlier but stopped for fear of breaking it. I went ahead and reassembled a few hours ago to at least see if my new pump fixed the old problem. Unfortunately it did not. When I take off the front of the machine I can still see about 2 inches of water right down by the drain hose that leads into the pump. So the old pump is back on and the new pump is on the way to the return department.

Talk to me about this anti-siphoning valve that exist somewhere out there. It seems logical that the pump is sucking water back in from the drain line. Also, I seem to have water trapped in the plastic ring that fits around the top of the INNER tub. Not the ring that you remove before taking out the agitator, etc, but the one that is only fitted to the inner tub. Of course since I didn't get the inner tub out, I can't get to the screws to remove it. I'll stand by for more advice before I get the hammer out again and do some real damage.

#6 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 10 September 2005 - 07:58 PM

'tis normal to have some water remaining in hoseafter pumping is complete, water in the upper ring is supposed to be there,as it is a balancing ring and the anti syphon kit is only required when draining machine into a floor drain or any drain that is less than 32 inches from the ground. if the bottom of your basket has an excessive amount of lint and guck, fill the machine partially with hot water and add a little c.l.r. to the water,allow to stand for an hour and then pump out, fill with hot water full and add a package of grapefruit tang crystals to the water and allow it to run a cycle or 2 to flush.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#7 Mcubed

Mcubed

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 08:19 PM

I will try that first thing tomorrow morning. If that doesn't get the clothes to smelling better, do you think that pulling it all apart and trying to power clean it will help?

There doesn't seem to be too much gunk, but there is a little mildew on the plastic tub I would love to get out. Thanks so much for the help.

#8 Mcubed

Mcubed

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 01:56 PM

Well, the tub doesn't look any cleaner, and there is still water in the bottom, but it currently smells better. Will try to use fabric softener on every load so as to add anything that smells good to the laundry.

#9 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 12 September 2005 - 05:51 AM

Be advised fabric softner is one of the things that causes this mold and smell so be sure not to over use it and use hot water and liquid bleach when ever possible to stop the build up of the stuff that causes the smelly mold
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#10 Mcubed

Mcubed

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 06:47 AM

Thanks for the info. I can see that bleach would do a better job. I think that the wife is shopping for a new washer, so if I can get her through the next few weeks without making it worse, I guess I will be OK. Thanks again for all of the info. Great website! If nothing else, I feel much better working on my appliances now.

#11 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 07:35 AM

Welcome, be sure she gets a nice Whirlpool, Roper, Estate, Kitchenaid  top load Direct Drive washer, the simpler the better.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#12 Mcubed

Mcubed

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 08:00 AM

It must have been the Zen vibe that let you know she is dedicated to finding a front load washer. And unfortunately, the only ones that look like they will fit in our laundry room are GE or Kenmore:X

Is there an appliance therapy website?

#13 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 08:15 AM

See if the Whirlpool Duet will fit.....or the L.G.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics