Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Refrigerator - bottom of door collapsed?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 Lurker_ConsumerComplaint_*

Lurker_ConsumerComplaint_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 07 May 2005 - 06:02 PM

Have similar issues with failing (falling) door.  Have been told to record complaint at the following website:

http://www.cpsc.gov/

It is from this source that product recalls are initiated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 Lurker_Dan_*

Lurker_Dan_*

Posted 09 May 2005 - 06:15 AM

I also have a kenmore side bye side that has done the exact same thing. Sears service blamed it on my recent move to fl. and that i must have been ruff with it.

#23 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,805 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 09 May 2005 - 11:06 PM

I detect an emerging issue on this one. Whirlpool will be coming out with a service bulletin on it in six months. Probably not a recall since it's not a health and safety issue.

#24 Lurker_SearsDoor_*

Lurker_SearsDoor_*

Posted 10 May 2005 - 07:25 AM

This can be a safety issue. If door continues to lower due to the bottom hinge collapsing into the foam in the bottom of the door then the door can become disengaged from the top hinge (3/4 inch metal post). If this were to happen the door can fall off and crush whoever is by it (kids and pets). YIKES.  This appears to apply to both Kenmore Elite Side by Side and Whirlpool Gold Conquest Side by Side.

#25 Lurker_BoBBy_*

Lurker_BoBBy_*

Posted 18 May 2005 - 11:27 AM

[user=0]BoBBy[/user] wrote:

Amazingly, tonite I found the exact same problem with my Whirlpool GS6SHEXN refrigerator.   Fortunately it is still under warranty.  WIll be interesting to see how Whirlpool handles this...

The service technician made it out today to check this out.  Said he'd have to order a new door.  Also said he's seen this once before.  I wrote an email to Whirlpool about this too.  I think a door should last and not break like this certainly due to what appears to be a manufacturing flaw.  At $500+ for a door, what would happen when this goes out of warranty.  I know there is some sort of consumer protection law about how items have an implied lifetime.  A door may indeed come under that category, especially for a mechanical defect such as this.  We'll see...

#26 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 18 May 2005 - 12:19 PM

I think whirlpool is depending on the foam to keep the door rigid. They keep making the steel thinner, and the door shelves bigger. The two trends seem to have reached the failure point. I think they will be replacing many doors.

Nick 

PS  excellent pictures and a fine home repair job.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#27 Lurker_Fat Tony_*

Lurker_Fat Tony_*

Posted 21 May 2005 - 07:45 PM

Though not as severe, I am also having the same problem.  It appears that the nylon or plastic washer set atop the part has disintergrated most of the way.  There is still a small piece that keeps me from allowing the door to close automatically.  I now must lift the door 1/4" to seat properly.  Does the replacement part really cost hundreds of dollars?!?  Not that I am swimming in cash, but it appears better to buy a brand new unit with fresh refrigerant than repair my 9 year old (estimation- it came with the house) unit.

I was going to try to rig it with a couple C clips and a fiber washer or two to lift the door.  Nothing as fancy as the previous post.  But after reviewing these posts, I am ready to run to another manufacturer.

Am I out of my mind?

#28 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 12:23 AM

COME ON GUYS, Help us help you....... Post a model# with your question then we can do a little research to see what you are actually dealing with.........OK???????
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#29 Lurker_Fat Tony_*

Lurker_Fat Tony_*

Posted 22 May 2005 - 08:23 AM

Sorry.  My ignorance is really going to come shining through now.  Where does one find the medel number?  The numbers I can find on the unit say it is a Kenmore 24.  Side by side.  23.6 cubic feet.  There is a sticker on the back of the unit that says 9514710, Run 2818, White 0379.  Again, the unit is at least 9 years old.

Please let me know if any of these numbers help.

#30 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 22 May 2005 - 08:52 AM

The model/serial tag should be in the food compartment on either the right or left wall.  On the older units it was above the toe panel down by the bottom door hinge where the door gasket would hit.   Your model number is 363.9514710, the 363 means it is made by G.E. not  Whirlpool.  I would suspect you might just need to replace your door cam risers as these wear out and break, not letting your door close properly.  This is normal wear, unless you let it go too long and let it damage the bottom of your door. Take a look at the assembly above the door support below the door, bet you will see the black riser is worn or broken...Sears shows the freezer side is WR13X0615 , the food side  is WR13X0614, both go to WR13X10020 so looks as both side come as a kit, this includes the bottom hinge and cam...Pegi
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#31 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,805 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 22 May 2005 - 04:13 PM

Model number help here.

#32 KevinZ

KevinZ

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 06:00 PM

I have the same problem with the door on my Kenmore Elite Refrigerator that I bought in the beginning of 2004. 

Model: 106.54602300

Serial: SR0244278

We first noticed the door on the refrigerator side was shorter than the freezer door by about 1/2" then my wife saw a crack at the bottom of the refrigerator door and was horrified to find that the hinge had broken through the plastic into the foam insulation of the door.

Before I had looked closely, I thought I could just replace the plastic piece which kind of raises the door as it opens, I guess to make it shut by itself as it goes back down.  Then I saw the whole door would basically have to be replaced to fix it.  We are worried about our 5 year old son or my pregnant wife being smashed by this heavy door if it drops down enough for the top hinge to come out. 

Front-view of corner.  (Sorry it's a bit blurry)

Posted Image

Side view:

Posted Image

#33 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 05 July 2005 - 06:27 PM

Call Sears and raise Hell if nice does not work, they have to replace this door, now!!!  And for free, I would insist!!!
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#34 freelancer

freelancer

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 12:03 PM

I also have a Kenmore Elite side by side model 106 with the door issue. Sears won't even talk to us and we've called everyone there. I think we should consider a leagl suit against Sears!:X

#35 freelancer

freelancer

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 12:32 PM

I just emailed the Consumer Product Safety Commission for advice on this issue. We need everyone to complain so this issue will be addressed! :X

http://www.cpsc.gov/talk.html

#36 yaaqui

yaaqui

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 11:53 AM

Hi, if you do not get attention, go to bad RIP-OFF Bad Business Bureau and file a complaint.

This is very bad reputation for a seller or manufacturer

http://www.badbusinessbureau.com/

#37 Dipak

Dipak

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 06:45 PM

I bought my Kenmore ELITE side-by-side (106.55604400) on 5/1/2005. On 6/1/2005,the bottom of the door looks exactly like yours. And yes, my door is getting lower & lower. Unfortunately, my freezer door has the same issue. Looking at your fix… Thanks for the idea! I will do the same. I agree… load distribution is the issue.

R/Dipak

#38 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 01:11 AM

[user=2910]Dipak[/user] wrote:

I bought my Kenmore ELITE side-by-side (106.55604400) on 5/1/2005. On 6/1/2005,the bottom of the door looks exactly like yours. And yes, my door is getting lower & lower. Unfortunately, my freezer door has the same issue. Looking at your fix… Thanks for the idea! I will do the same. I agree… load distribution is the issue.

R/Dipak

Did you really purchase this unit new from Sears on 5/1/2005 or did you mean 2004?????

If you just purchased it make Sears come out an fix it correctly, you shouldn't have to muck around with a repair like this on a 3 month old refrigerator.

On second thought, why even accept a repair -- Make them give you a new one -- There is diffinitely a problem with these units but 3 months and already broken is crazy!!!!!
William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#39 Dipak

Dipak

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 05:42 AM

Sorry… I meant to type 2004.

I spoke to the local Sears Service Manager and the response was to replace the door at my cost.

R/Dipak

#40 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 11:57 PM

Unfortunitly that's the normal kind of response your will get from Sears once the warranty period is up, they really don't care about customer service!!!!!! (I don't think they even know what customer service is).
William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics