Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Refrigerator - bottom of door collapsed?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 dan

dan

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 04:51 AM

I have the same Problem with my refrigerator and after six months of phone calls and e-mails they agreed to replace both doors. The repairman originaly blamed it on rough handling, do to a move we made, The fridge was one month out of warranty but since i complained only one month past. My doors were ordered last week. I'll keep you posted if they show up

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#42 mdmroberts

mdmroberts

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:33 AM

I have a very similar problem with a Kenmore Elite refrigerator (model #72202201) which is a top freezer model.  It's been installed 2 1/2 years.  I noticed a oily substance leaking from the door about a month ago, and then last week, it came off the bottom hinge.  There are bits of white plastic that have broken off as well.  My belief is that that there is something in the manufacturing process (blow in foam, perhaps?) that left some kind of a solvent in the door cavity which dissolved the plastic in the bottom of the door.

Cost of the door replacement $650 for the door, $150 for labor.  Sears Response to complaint?  Too bad, so sad.  Our of warranty, but because we "value you as a customer", we are prepared to offer you a $50 gift card...

MR

#43 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:47 AM

WE cannot stress eough, BUY EXTENDED WARRANTYS on everything you buy these days...
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#44 Lurker_shaynelle_*

Lurker_shaynelle_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 10 October 2005 - 05:32 PM

We are contemplating buying a Sears Kenmore Elite side by side 23 cu ft.  Sears Number 463 644 322, model number is not listed on the website.  Please note, this is also a Canadian Sears number as posted on sears.ca.  I have not been able to find any reviews on this model yet.  Is there a comparable American version so I can read the reviews on those?  Also, how can I find out who manufacturers this product?

Thanks for your help!

#45 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:06 PM

This model number was posted earlier in this thread for a Kenmore Elite, 106.54202300, these are made by Whirlpool.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#46 goazgo

goazgo

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 03:10 PM

I had  similar issue with a 106 54602 Kenmore Elite model. Initially, we noticed a cracked bottom trim. Then, the door started to sag. (very similar to the previous pictures) After about a month or two, the door disengaged when it was open. (It has a cam that slightly lowers it to create a natural opening location, the problem is that this lowers the already sagging door to the point where the top shaft comes loose.)

A day or two later, the door completely fell off when it was opened. It went crashing to the ground and condiments and milk went everywhere. I am thankful that my toddler wasn't around. The bracket that used to be linked to the trim ripped out of the foam. There is no frame in the door, and the only structural support for the bracket is some medium grade vinyl. Once this cracks due to the shearing stress created by the use of a small bracket, the foam gives way pretty easily. 

Sears so far has not been very helpful. I have submitted a complaint to the CSPC as well as a one star review to a certain online review site.

Thankfully I have a 1977 GE refrigerator in the garage. It will be getting some use until this issue is resolved with Sears and potentially Whirlpool. (JD weld or metal brackets would damage the "evidence" :-) )

#47 Lurker_forrest18_*

Lurker_forrest18_*

Posted 07 November 2005 - 06:23 PM

I also have Kenmore side-by-side model 106.54682300.  Same broken door hinge (the pictures earlier could be my fridge).  I bought it last February, so it's out of warranty now of course.  I took it to the Sears service center, which fortunately is just down the road.  The lady there was of absolutely NO USE.  After that I carried it to the store where I originally purchased the fridge.  The salesman there was much more helpful and understanding, but he could do little but put me in touch with the national service center.  Bottom line, they are sending a tech out tomorrow at no charge, but I don't know what the result of that visit will be.   The unit is less than two years old and a new door is $600.  Needless to say Sears is in serious jeopardy of losing yet another customer unless they replace the broken door.  I won't be buying another door from them under any circumstance.  It would just break again anyway.

This is poor engineering.  Anybody can look at the 1/8" piece of plactic that holds the door up and judge that it is insufficient to do the job.  If this is a common issue, which it obviously is, then the manufacturer needs to step up and take responsibility. 

#48 Lurker_forrest18_*

Lurker_forrest18_*

Posted 12 November 2005 - 07:18 AM

I have now been stood up twice by the Sears repair people, having stayed home a half-day each time to meet the technician.  No explaination, no calls, NOTHING.  Certainly no new door.

I'm starting to think they are just jerking me around.

I'm finished with K-Mart Sears.  Who needs this?

#49 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 07:46 AM

This is one reason I tell everyone not to buy appliances with the Kenmore name on them, even tho they are not made by Sears, you are stuck going thru their warranty service department since the Kenmore name is on the unit....

#50 goazgo

goazgo

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 06:50 AM

Finally got Sears to pay for the door. Had to get the approval of the local Store Manager. The Corporate OneSource department had to be by far the worst people I have dealt with in a long time. They did not offer to pay for the parts and were argumentative about weird things. (They were stating that my 1.5 year old refrigerator will actually be two years old in March. Apparently they didn't learn that tactic from Dale Carnegie.)

The local Sears people were great.

I got the door yesterday and installed it. The instructions in the owners manual were pretty good.

I will be keeping the old door and fixing it, because I believe it is a truly bad design and want a backup in case the new door fails before the eventual recall.

While I am happy with Sears, I am now going to be directing my attention to Whirlpool. They need to fix their mistakes, especially when safety is involved.

#51 gfschue

gfschue

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 05:09 PM

We purchased a Kenmore Elite Side-by-Side, Model 106.54602300 in February 2004.  Like others posting on this topic, we discovered our refrigerator door is lower (by 1/2-inch) than the freezer door because the lower hinge has punched through the rugged, high-strength PLASTIC base that supports the full weight of the door and its contents.  I assumed the plastic at the base was DECORATIVE TRIM, not a structural element.  Wrong.  How anyone at Whirlpool thought a base made of 1/8-th inch thick plastic could support the torque and shear forces applied to it during normal use is beyond me.  Looking at the design, I'm beginning to wonder if the metal stop they designed into the hinge bracket actually makes it more likely the plastic would crack.

We now begin our merry journey through Sears Service Hell.

The irony of all this was thinking back to the installation.  The two guys from Sears who installed the new side-by-side moved our old refrigerator (25 year old Kenmore) to the garage.  They told us it would outlast our new one.  Boy were they right.

#52 Wheezer

Wheezer

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 10:58 AM

Same story.  we purchased the Kenmore 106.54602300 from a Great Indoors store around January of 2004.  Sometime later we noticed the door sagging.  Eventually the bracket broke and the door came completely off the top hinge (of course, out of warranty).  Before this happens you should rig some sort of brace at the bottom of the door (use a piece of metal or wood and duct tape, or someother short term safety fix).  If not, the door will sag enough to fall off the top pin.

We went through Sears customer service (or lack thereof).  I spoke to Sears legal, to Whirlpool, etc.  Sears was a pain to deal with on ever front.  Finally, I called the store where I bought it and they gave me a number for Great Indoors service, which is sending a repairman out to replace the door under the manufacturer's warranty (which I believe when it happens).  Total cost would be:  $65.  Emotional toll:  priceless.

#53 Lurker_forrest18_*

Lurker_forrest18_*

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:14 PM

An update to my above post.  I finally was able to meet the service tech, who arrived late, just as I was leaving my house.  He looked at my door, and seemed surprised that the end piece that houses the hinge was not individually replaceable.  I showed him this forum, and how others had had the same problem, and he went on his way, photos in hand.

Friday I finally heard from Sears OneSource again, this time stating that they wanted to make ANOTHER appointment (this will be the 4th time I have stayed home to meet a tech. over this issue).  Apparently their last tech didn't have the proper qualifications to diagnose a broken hinge and to deliver photographs, so now they want to send a "senior tech". 

Resolution is still pending, and  I would sure like to have my refridgerator door back in working order, but until this case is settled I can't even make an ad-hoc repair.  Needless to say my patience is quickly waning and I am considering seeking legal advice, but I will wait to see what the outcome is after tomorrow.

To anyone who is thinking about making a major purchase from Sears:  DON'T !!  It makes my sick to think about how many Sears products I own.

#54 Lurker_forrest18_*

Lurker_forrest18_*

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:08 PM

The senior service tech arrived well within his scheduled appointment window, and was a very nice, seemingly sincere fellow.  He seemed unsure of the purpose of his presence, which I completely understood.  Of course upon seeing the failed hinge he came to the conclusion that the entire door would have to be replaced, and dutifully reported his findings to OneSource. 

Three days later OneSource finally called and informed me that they "will not be able to offer a replacement".  I have not yet called back to speak to a manager, but that is number one on my "to do" list.  Beyond that, I will be forced to involve my attorney. 

It is highly unfortunate that manufacturers fail to recognize their obligations.  I wonder, when you add up the expense of the two service calls to my house, the expense of litigation that may well be to come, and the cost of losing a customer for life (I no longer shop at Sears for any reason), how much money Sears has saved by denying responsibility for their product in this case.  The $600 door certainly does not cost them $600, and there is a good chance they may yet have to replace mine. 

#55 blagud

blagud

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 10:31 AM

I just removed the door to my Kenmore Elite (elite!) to find the same problem everyone has encountered.  This is really crappy engineering and Sears should do a recall.  the Bottome hinge on fridge side is totally cracked so doing metal support plate is not an option.  I will probably end up buying a new door.  I will never buy another appliance from Sears.

#56 blagud

blagud

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 10:59 AM

Oops forgot my model/s/n:

Kenmore Elire White 106.54202300

Purchased 3/11/04, out of warranty

s/n SR0646799

#57 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 11:59 AM

Again, this is a Whirlpool Frig., Sears did not make it, just sold it with the Kenmore name on the front, would have the same problem is Whirlpool was on the front of the box, but since Sears bought it from Whirlpool you have to deal with Sears.  Call the store you bought it from to see what they might do, will depend on the personel at that store.

#58 Lurker_inspector J_*

Lurker_inspector J_*

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:29 AM

I found a similar angle plate in my garage (a remnant part from my deck building project) and flattened it out as you did. Took my time, measured and drilled carefully and WOW! My door is fixed! It took me 3 hours and I was careful not to invite "Murphy".

Thanks for the inspiration.

Inspector J

#59 Wheezer

Wheezer

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 11:03 AM

Just an update:  The Sears tech came out, said we needed a new door, then proceeded to say since it wasn't covered under any warranty, he couldn't order it.  So, in essence, Sears lied to us yet again.  If anyone is aware of a lawsuit surrounding the Kenmore/Whirlpool fridge design defect, please post, because I am out of patience with Sears.  Also, any links to alternative places to buy the door would be appreciated.  Someone has to sell it for less than $600.

#60 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 11:37 AM

CLICK HERE
Wheezer, This is for the white door, what color is yours????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics