Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to troubleshoot like a Master Samurai Tech...

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
bigwig

Kenmore dryer series 70 model 110.96573220 no heat

4 posts in this topic

I've got no heat coming from my Kenmore dryer 110.96573220.  I've checked the power at the wall plug and both legs are good.  I've checked the fusable link and it's not blown.  All the thermal sensors also appear OK (ohm out as shorted).  The heating element also ohms out indicating no break.  When I turn everything on, I get a reading of 120V at both connectors on the element, but it doesn't heat up.  Also, even when I put it on the no heat cycle, I still get the same 120V at the element.

Any ideas on what I should do next would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

You need to disconnect one of the wires to the heating element and repeat the voltage test. You'll find that you're getting 120v to one side of the element but not the other-- the side with the missing voltage is the one to troubleshoot.

Wow, thanks for the quick response!

Yup, you're right.  The red/white wire is the dead.  That's the one that loops through the thermal switches in series and ends up at the timer.  I've got continuity all the way from the timer down through the switches to the heating coil, but there's no power coming from the timer.  So, is it likely that the timer is bad?  If so, is that a repairable part, or just replace the whole timer?

Assuming you've made all your measurements correctly and you're positive you're not getting voltage from the timer, then, yep, you've got a bad timer, compadre. It's probably a burned contact. Timers are not a field-repairable part. Here's the direct link for a new, replacement timer:

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=154&N=1148