Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore washer fills but requires prompting to agitate

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 driverwild

driverwild

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:44 PM

Respected Masters:
Though for many years a good and obedient servant, my Kenmore washer model 110.92582220 has a problem that most would immediately say is the lid switch...but I have information to the contrary.  After trolling for a couple of hours through the sacred scrolls of ancient posts, I can't find anything on this specifically, so here goes:

On the last two loads, the tub has filled to what seems an adequate and accurate level and then stopped.  This model allows the agitator to run with the lid up, and I usually feed it clothes while it "munches down" on them.  Here's what I did to get the agitator running both times:

Ruled out the timer and mode by placing it in "Ultra Clean"/Rinse, "Perma-Press"/Rinse and "Normal"/Rinse in a multitude of different positions, with the knob pulled in and out with each new setting.

Changed the water temp from AutoTemp setting to regular setting on a variety of temps, no result.

Tried placing the water level setting to "Medium-Hi" (water ran momentarily and stopped) and back to "High" (water ran momentarily and stopped).  When I did this multiple times, the agitator suddenly kicked in normally, with the lid raised.  The rest of the cycles on "Ultra Clean" went without incident.

If it does this again, I will snake the hose into the tub and manually fill it some more to see if it's a dodgy water level sensor.  Can anyone think of something else it could be?  It just seems like it can't signal agitator activation without that bit of prompting.  I can hear the timer tick-ticking even with the agitator stopped. 

I seek the wisdom of the greater group.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:56 PM

Sounds like a bad wire at the motor connector, or possibly a timer issue - check the motor harness first
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:26 PM

when it won't Agitate, will it Spin if set to Spin ?

also ... could be a bad Speed (Cycle) Selector Switch

try the Agitate Cycle at diferent Speed Switch Settings.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 driverwild

driverwild

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:20 AM

Nope, I tried setting it to spin in different modes with the tub full of water (would it even do that when operating properly and the tub full?).  It just seems like it's THIIIS close to engaging the agitator when I have the timer in agitate mode and the tub finishes filling.  During normal operation, what prompts the timer to begin agitation?  I'm not getting that part so far, thanks!  The water level sensors shuts off the valve and then the ___________ signals the ______________ to begin agitation?

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:35 AM

Water Level Switch shuts off water, then sends power through Timer to the Washer Motor to Agitate.

The Washer should Spin without depending on water level, even when empty.

still could be a bad Timer, Speed Switch, Motor,

I can't find the exact wiring diagram for that model, yet,

unless you could upload it to http://imageshack.us

and post the link here

#6 driverwild

driverwild

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:40 PM

Forgot to answer you on whether or not I tried different agitator speeds...yep, everything got a try or a twist in turn.

Don't have the wiring diagram; I might be able to find the OM under extreme duress if you think it's in there (kinda doubt it?).  I ran a decent-sized load today with the water set on high and it worked flawlessly.  But I suspect this is not going to last and expect the "dead zone" to start happening with greater frequency.

So the water level sensor should be sending voltage to the timer, which activates the motor, right?  When the tub fills but won't start agitating, I'd be Flukin' to check for voltage output from the water level sensor output to the timer input first; then for signal voltage from the timer output to the motor, I assume (of course after checking the connection to the motor first!)  Does that sound right?

Sounds like I DO need that wiring diagram plus some advice on how to get her prom dress off first, to check her undercarriage.

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:55 PM

[user=56359]driverwild[/user] wrote:

... Don't have the wiring diagram; I might be able to find the OM under extreme duress if you think it's in there (kinda doubt it?)...

no ..

but it should Spin whether the Water Level Sensor is working or not ...

#8 driverwild

driverwild

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:04 PM

Well, that's what's got me to wondering if it could be the Motor Start Switch that's  got arc'ed contacts or something?  Thanks for the info on the spin cycle; I guess that eliminates that variable.

Motor Start Switch P/N and Photo for this model:

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:07 PM

if the Motor Start Switch was bad, the Motor would still "hum"

you'd have to do some voltage tests (with the wiring diagram)

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,633 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:57 AM

[user=637]kdog[/user] wrote:

Sounds like a bad wire at the motor connector, or possibly a timer issue - check the motor harness first

Wisdom! Let us attend!

#11 driverwild

driverwild

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:25 PM

Roger that on the motor harness.  Thanks Kdog!

RegUS_PatOff: Thanks for weighing in. 

I am most fortunate to have such wise and kind masters taking notice of my small concerns.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics