Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Gas dryer does not stay lit.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MNArctic

MNArctic

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 08:59 AM

Dryer lights runs for a few seconds, then flame goes out just after the lighting cycle.

Completely vacuumed cabinet and duct work.  No blockage. 

I jumpered High Limit switch, P/N L220-40F or Maytag P/N 303395, and it runs.

I removed the burner, found some rust in the tube, assumed it re-directed the flame and burned out the switch.  Bought new switch and new burner and installed.  It does the same thing.

If I jumper the high limit switch, it runs.  It doesn't seem like it is overheating.  What am I missing?  Is the new sealed in Maytag bag high limit switch bad?  Is it supposed to be in an Open or Closed state before applying heat?

Attached is a picture of the burning flam.  Looks good to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 MNArctic

MNArctic

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:01 AM

Maytag  Model LDG7400AAW  S/N A33xxxxxxxxx

#3 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:00 AM

possibly an air flow problem- partially blocked vent exhaust or failed blower wheel.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#4 MNArctic

MNArctic

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:17 AM

All troubleshooting had been done with the front cover off so I assumed that any venting issues were null and void.   The fact is that the blower pulls the flame past the high limit switch, so if the front door is not on, it does not pull the flame past the high limit switch causing it to open.  The dryer seems to run fine when not connected to the external vent.

My vent runs 20 feet plus, so I feed 4 inch to a 4-6" adapter, then run 6" heat duct the 20',  then convert back down to 4 inch to exit the house.  I did this thinking of less turbulence/drag when trying to vent that long.  Any venting comments?

Thank you very much.

#5 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:25 AM

If the dryer runs fine with your vent disconncted, then keeps going out when it is connected, there can be nothing else but you vent system in the home, gas dryers will not stay lit with any restrictionn of the air flow frim the dryer.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:25 AM

Repeat the test with the vent hose completely disconnected from the dryer. No cheating! If you get the same results, replace the valve coils:

http://www.repaircli...sp?R=154&N=3473

#7 MNArctic

MNArctic

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 11:03 AM

On my 3rd post, I was saying thanks because it seems that the venting was the issue and solved the problem.  I also was saying that having the door on is a must in the troubleshooting becuase it pulls the flame past the high limiter switch.

Any venting comments on the length of run or the configuration of the venting?

Thanks again.

#8 MNArctic

MNArctic

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 11:59 AM

Well.... maybe not.

Found the end of vent run plugged.  Cleared vent, blows much, much better.  With the unit completely back together, if I run it empty on regular load here is what happens.

Ignighter glows, 15 seconds later gas, it lights, then runs for 45 seconds, then off.

I guess I shouldn't have celebrated just yet.

#9 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 11 September 2005 - 03:27 PM

Try it with a wet load before wondering if something is wrong....then let us know how it does.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics