Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Problems with Sub-Zero 680/S

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 eugkim

eugkim

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:31 AM

I've had about 6 years of issues with our fridge. First, the freezer kept forming ice on the unit's cooling mechanism. The defroster wouldn't turn on, and I had to melt the ice on the metal fins to get the freezer to get cold. After a couple unsuccessful visits from the SZ appliance man, he finally replaced the control board, and the freezer worked fine. However, about a year later, the freezer began getting warm again. Now, the ice was forming on the sides of the freezer, not on the cooling unit itself. During the summer, when it's humid, or if the freezer door's open for a long time, the problem is much worse. For the last 4 years or so, the repairman came out, checked the connections, replaced a warming coil, replaced another control board, all without success. I finally went to the dealer, and inquired about a new SZ. The salesman was curious why I'd replace a 10 year old fridge, and he said the problem was with a leak in the system. He suggested I check the door seal, and, sure enough, it was shredded. He came out, replaced the seal, found that the drip tray wasn't aligned properly and was tilting away from the drainage hole. He aligned the tray, and said that it should be fixed.

Unfortunately, the freezer still warms up. The ice still forms on the side, and blocks the fan from spinning. While it's better now (I have to remove all the freezer contents, unscrew the panel, chop the ice from around the fan 1-2 times a day now, vs. 3-4 before). I'm about to lose my mind, as it's been a major hassle for me, although I've gotten used to it. I'd prefer not to replace it.

I've called Sub-Zero customer service - they had a tech go over the unit via phone with the repairman, but they don't seem to have helped. They didn't even think to check or think of a leak as an issue.

I did some searching on this forum, and it seems that a leaky evaporator may be the problem. Is this the case? How should I go about getting this nightmare resolved?

Thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:52 AM

Does the Defrost Heater work ?

What's the frost pattern on the Evaporator Coils ?

should be completely, evenly frosted, but not air-clogged
(after the Compressor has been running at least an hour)

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 denrayr

denrayr

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:44 PM

those things have several connectors piggy backed on the heater circuit. its most likely a loose connection on one of these connectors. Since its so intermittent it can really be hard to trace. sealed system leaks are pretty rare in the freezer side.
RedRock Appliance Service

435-773-7838

www.redrockrepair.com

Serving St George and Southern Utah

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics