Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Bosch dishwasher shu5315 intermittent heating

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jmh226

jmh226

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:59 AM

Hi all,
This is my first post! I recently acquired a used bosch shu5315 dishwasher. It wasn't working well, long run times, stuck at 1 minute remaining, etc. All of the classic control board problems, so I opened the machine up and sure enough the control board was burned at the heater relay. I repaired the solder joint and voila! it worked...for the first few runs. Now it seems to sometimes work and sometimes not. I've measured the current coming in and it is at ~11 amps like it should be most of the time, but I ran the super heavy duty cycle yesterday and the heater was only pulling ~1.25 amps. Then I ran the diagnostic cycle and the heater was back up to normal amperage. I ran the regular cycle after that and it was fine. So it seems that I still have an issue with either the heater assembly or the control board. Any advice as to what the problem could be? Can the heater element work intermittently, or is it the kind of thing that just stops completely when it fails? I tend to think that perhaps my control board is bad, but I'd hate to blow $150 on that and then still have to replace the heater for $127... I'd appreciate any advice you can give me!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:25 AM

[user=67866]jmh226[/user] wrote:

.. Can the heater element work intermittently,..

no

could be another bad connection somewhere,

OR the Relay contacts are bad
(could be replaced)

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,801 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:36 PM

May have a partially burned solder joint at the heater relay on the control board. Take the control panel apart and have a look. Kill power first.

Picture

#4 denrayr

denrayr

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:22 AM

[user=1]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

May have a partially burned solder joint at the heater relay on the control board. Take the control panel apart and have a look. Kill power first.

Picture

yep. ive found that when one of the relay solder joints burns, the others are cracked and need to be touched up.
RedRock Appliance Service

435-773-7838

www.redrockrepair.com

Serving St George and Southern Utah

#5 jmh226

jmh226

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:46 AM

Thanks so much to everyone for your help with this.  It sounded like the consensus was that the issue was with the control board, so I took the control board out and sure enough, as "denrayr" suggested, all of the heater relay solder joints (other than the burned out one that I had previously repaired) were cracked.  I resoldered them and now she's working like a charm again!  Thanks again! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics