Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

dryer wont ... dry?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ice head

ice head

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 04:37 PM

I have a 5 year old electric maytag MDE8000AYQ.

I took the dryer apart and vacuumed out everything HOPING
it was something silly where if I did something sillier, it would fix it. No such luck.

The coils looked clean (no buildup).

The vent seems clean, the outside vent is coming out strong. If I turn the dryer on and put my hand near the heat, it's pretty darn hot (burns my hand if I leave it there for a long time).

So, with a good vent, hot air being generated, and no other noises coming out of the dryer, why doesn't it dry clothes well? My wife informs me it's been taking 4 cycles to dry even a t-shirt! Care to educate me on where to start trouble shooting? My wife is thinking of shooting if I don't get this thing working ....

Honorable regards and respectful wishes.

icehead

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 11 September 2005 - 05:19 PM

Make sure the blower wheel is not loose, also see if the seal around the blower housing is sealing, if it is not sealing the clothes will take forever to dry. If you have good air flow rom the dryer and thru the outside vent something is letting the air flow bypass the items in the drum, assuming the drum is turning?  Check that front seal and bower wheel.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 ice head

ice head

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 01:42 PM

I'm kind of baffled, but as of now it appears to be working. I checked the blower, looks solid. No slippage, no play.

I noticed when I had it apart that the light wasn't coming on. I remember reading from other posts that this could indicate it only has 1/2 the circuit. I checked the breaker and they are both tied together, but I switched it off and on again anyway.

Turned it back on and it seemed to get a LOT hotter. I smelled it this time whereas the last time I tested it wasn't nearly as stinky.

So I'm not sure what exactly happened, but right now it seems to be better. I'm going to have my wife try to dry a load of clothes shortly so we'll see.

Thanks for the help pegi! I'm glad I at least verified the blower wheel ....

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:01 PM

Welcome, sometimes breakers look like they are on all of the way but re-setting them give full voltage, perhaps this is what happened, I do not know...let me know how this goes...;)

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#5 ice head

ice head

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:39 PM

The long running saga continues ...

So I told my wife it looks like it might be working now since the heat was on .. working well. She's run plenty of loads through and it is acting the same as before. The heat is coming on PLENTY hot (ouch, metal inside the dryer burns tender skin). The vent to the outside is clear and very strong.

Two things of interest:
1) I don't notice the heat on the outside as terribly hot ... should it be? The air is coming out very strong though, and extremely humid.

2) I finally read the stupid manual and noticed maytag has this "intellidry" feature. Depending on how you start the cycle (more dry, less dry, variable range) it STOPS drying the clothes and leaves them [more dry/less dry] based on what you selected. Is it possible the circuitry is busted so that the cycle is running on a timed cycle now and the timed cycle just isn't long enough to fully dry the clothes? It says in the manual that the circuitry controls how long the dryer will stay on based on what you select, and by that theory, the dryer should stay on FOREVER if something was broken inside of it.

Any help appreciated. Thank you again!

ice

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:44 PM

Check the heating element to be sure it is not grounded.  If the case is hot either the element is grounded or there is a blockage of the air flow from the dryer.  See what temperature is blowing from the exhaust pipe of the dryer with the vent hose off and see if it is the same as printed on your cycling thermostats.  Long dry times go back to blocked air flow from the dryer to the outside.  See if it dryes ok with the vent hose removed from the dryer vent.

#7 ice head

ice head

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 05:09 AM

Long time no troubleshoot!

I put this off since my wife wasn't too upset about using 2 drying cycles ... but it's recently become an issue again.

To update, I removed the vent hose, works great. I watched it through pieces of a cycle and the high thermostat seems to be working fine (meat thermometer matched the stamped on temp placed in the coils). So there are 2 other thermostats I'm thinking of replacing.

Dryer cycling thermostat with internal bias heater, four terminal, L150-15:
http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=484074

and

Cycling thermostat control, multi-temp, 4 terminal
http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=484075

Any input on which one is more likely (or if either of them is more likely?) It's pretty consistent ... dry one cycle, leaves the clothes anywhere from a little damp to VERY damp. Dry the next cycle, seems to usually do the trick.

Thanks. Happy New Year to all!

ice

#8 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 05:42 AM

Which cycle are you using? Time dry, or inteli-dry? If inteli/dry, does it seem to only happen on small loads? Sheets and blankets?
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#9 ice head

ice head

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 05:25 PM

Typically intellidry. Small or large loads ... are you theorizing the moisture detector bar could be wearing out? But if so, wouldn't it run LONGER in order to compensate for the fact it 'thinks' the moisture content isn't going down? To replace the bar I think it's under $10 ... so that is certainly a good thing to try. I've never been confident in the thermostats anyway .. seems like a strange symptom if thermostats are bad. I would think it would either be melting the clothes from being too hot or just never even get hot but not this in between weird stuff.

Thanks for the reply. Let me know what you are thinking could be the cause.

ice

#10 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 07:30 PM

The reason I asked what cycle you were in is because no matter what cycle you use you are still using the same tstats. So if you are not having the problem in time dry, the problem is not with the tstats. The inteli-dry system works off of wet clothes hitting the sensor bar. If you are drying things that are large and have a tendency to roll up into themselves (blankets, sheets), the outside drys and the inside can remain wet. Since the outside is hitting the sensor bar, it tricks the unit into thinking they are dry. I call this "My wife syndrome". The fix is to open the unit half way through and invert them. Then you have "My Mom syndrome" This is using too small a load. The use and care will usually state something like minimum load size of 5-7lbs dry weight. This is because if you throw a dress shirt in there with 4 pairs of socks, there is not enough weight or clothes to get a tumble action and the garments stick or center-fuse to the drum from the centrifugal force. No clothes tumbling, no clothes hitting sensor bar, unit shuts off too soon because it thinks it's dry. My mom will through one shirt and a dishtowel in her unit, since the bar never sees wet clothes hit it, it shuts off in about 15 minutes. I usually explain how the system works to consumers who suffer the Mom Syndrome and run the unit with the door open and only an article or two in there. The clothes stick to one of the baffles and never fall. That usally gets them on the right page.       
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#11 ice head

ice head

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:07 AM

Well, after your very sound advice I asked my wife to start using the timed cycle. And guess what? Problem disappeared. Now, I know she has been using this cycle for the last 5 years without any problems at all, so I do suspect somewhere there is a real issue, but controlling things manually certainly solves it.

I'm thinking maybe I'll replace the temp sensor bar as a cheap and easy solution, but if she stops complaining (which she has) then my motivation goes WAAAAAY down. :)

So thank you guys for helping. You've saved me hundreds of dollars and endless hours of frustration ... thank you so very much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics