Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Washer...not spinning...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ralphwhitfield

ralphwhitfield

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 04:59 PM

O, wise appliance ones...

My GE Washer (Model WPSF4170W0WW) stopped moving tonight.

I have read all of the previous posts (within reason) concerning this matter, and now wish to extend the listing...

1) The lid switch is working as always.

2) Took the front off of the washer (never could get the stupid top to come off.)  Can see the motor spinning, BUT...the clutch barely moves, therefore the belt barely moves.

3) I can move the belt clockwise, but when I try to move the belt counter clockwise it goes only a little bit and stops.

4) I had the transmission replaced under warranty about 1 or 2 years ago.  ($150-$200 for labor.)

O wise ones...is it toast or is it salvagable within $200?

Thanks,

Ralph

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 13 September 2005 - 05:27 AM

The clutch pads may be worn out, can you tell if the motor shaft is turning faster than the clutch? You may have to replace the clutch assm, and maybe the motor if its shaft is chewed up.

I wouldn't put much money into your model, there is no pot of gold at the end of this rainbow.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#3 ralphwhitfield

ralphwhitfield

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:27 AM

Nick,

Yeah, the motor is turning much faster than the clutch.  OK...clutch assembly, maybe motor? Let me check some prices...

Ralph

#4 ralphwhitfield

ralphwhitfield

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:31 AM

Okeydokey... about $200 for motor and clutch (including shipping, if I'm lucky), $120 alone for the clutch.

Hmmm...new one is going for around $450...

Lowe's here I come.

Thanks for the help.

Ralph

#5 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:53 AM

Don't get a GE... They don't last.

Go with Whirlpool

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#6 ralphwhitfield

ralphwhitfield

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 06:03 PM

Nick,

I just can't get my wife interested in the Whirlpool. She likes GE (Her family has _always_ used GE.) She also wants the large capacity tubs. You can't get that in anything else for less than $800.

I know what you mean about the GE's not lasting. I have 3 in 20 some odd years of marriage.

Thanks for the help.

Ralph

#7 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:03 PM

Today's GE is not the GE of old. Avoid. I beg you. Think not of yourself, but also of us. If you do only one selfless act in your life, let it be that you steer your no doubt beautiful but misguided spouse away from GE.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#8 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:11 PM

Actually I like working on the newer GE washers cause I'm good at them.  I'm good at them cause I've had lots of practice.  I've had lots of practice cause they suck.

#9 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:17 PM

Like yourself Jedi, I got to a point where I didn't mind doing them, because I'd had so much practice. I had the tranny replacement down to under an hour, provided I had a decent area to work in. Also knew the parts (bearing, seal, screws etc.) off by heart.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#10 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:23 PM

I've perfected taking excatly two hours in tiny laundry rooms with no damage claims.

#11 ralphwhitfield

ralphwhitfield

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 03:16 AM

Now you guys are really scaring me.

I'll do my best to dissuade her.  But, after 22 years of marriage, I know I won't be able to sway her.

Ralph

#12 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 04:00 AM

Ask your wife how willing she is to hear the "I told you so" when the new GE takes a dive.

If she goes GE, you'll have every right to remind her that she was warned, and it's "all your fault dear".

#13 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 14 September 2005 - 05:01 AM

Ralph, be scared, be very scared...........Jedi and Mad Mack know of what they tell you.....junk!!!   Good luck shopping.  :?
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#14 ralphwhitfield

ralphwhitfield

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:32 AM

OK...you've convinced me enough to pursue other options.  Biggest problem is she wants it NOW!!!  (I reckon I'll be going to the laundrymat tonight.) 

Here are my options:

Whirlpool or Maytag.  I can get both from Sears for around the same price as the GEs and yes...price is a major factor.  This is not a bill we need at this point.

What's better: Stainless steel drum or porcelain on steel or plastic drum.  Or does it really matter.  (Yes, logic tells me stainless, but don't know...ask the experts.)

How much capacity difference is there really between 3.2 cu.ft., 3.3 cu.ft. and 3.5 cu.ft.?  I can work the math, but really, how much difference.  That is going to be the greatest challenge (aside from me doing the laundry at a coin op tonite...do you know it cost almost $4 in quarters per load!!!!) with my wife.  All she sees is the size and to her 3.5 is bigger than 3.2.

As for her washing habits...we do at least 1 load a day to keep up.  Sometimes 2-3 a day.  (It seems the damn thing is always running.)  She won't let me do the washing short of the towels and such.  (Ruin one blouse and your set for life!  Best $100 I ever spent right after we got married.)

Give me some ammunition guys.  My wife is expecting it to be delivered tomorrow and now I want to take a little time and get one that will last longer than you say the GEs will.

Ralph

#15 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:36 AM

Not the Maytag!!!  Is more Evil than the G.E.!!!   Whirlpool or Kitchenaide and largets is better for the big bulky items....SS will have a better warranty I believe, ask them...
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#16 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 11:29 PM

And if you have a Costco around check out the Kirkland washers, they are a Whirlpool made machine with a 2yr full warranty I believe.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics