Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag washer major short!!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AFBear

AFBear

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 08:51 AM

HELP!!  I have a 12 year old Maytag LAT9200 washer.  After completion of a wash, the washer went dead.  Checked and found the fuse blown.  Replaced and it blew immediately.  A quick jump over the fuse block resulted in a tripped circuit breaker as expected.  I've checked for frayed wires and loose connections all the way down to the motor and everything looks fine.  Also, no signs of overheating anywhere.  Plugged in with the fuse out  does not trip the CB.  Does anyone have any suggestions as the proper sequence to isolate this short?  The schematic taped inside is not the best I've seen.  Any help would be appreciated!!!!  Thanks!!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 09:27 AM

Presume you're talking about the fuse on the lid switch assembly - generally, this blows if either the main switch or lid switch is stuck so that both are in the same position at the same time. Check the switches for correct operation.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#3 AFBear

AFBear

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 09:40 AM

Mad Mac - Thanks for your response!!  That is the fuse I was talking about.  Checked continuity on the lid switch: open when lid is open and closed when lid is closed - seems OK.  I'm not sure what you are calling the main switch???

#4 AFBear

AFBear

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 10:04 AM

I can't edit my messages but I just checked what my schematic calls the "check switch".  It's a small (1 1/8" x 5/8" x 1/2") white switch located in front of the lid switch and has a red lead in from the lid switch.  It shows lid open (RD to W-GN closed circuit) whether it is or not.  The lid closed (RD to BK) is always open.  This is obviously without power.  Is this your main switch?  It looks like it's stuck open, unless it needs power - -could this be the culprit???

#5 AFBear

AFBear

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 10:33 AM

Update:  when looking at parts, saw the check switch had a red button sticking out.  Mine was stuck in.  Now it seems to check OK: R to BK with button out (lid closed) and R to W-GN with button in (lid open)

#6 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 11:01 AM

Sounds like you fixed it without really trying :cool: (I love those ones). Pop a fuse in and see how it goes. I'd put a new check switch on the "to do" list in any event.

I also stand corrected, I should have referred to "main switch" and 'check switch" earlier.

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#7 AFBear

AFBear

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 07:43 PM

[user=13]Mad Mac[/user] wrote:

Sounds like you fixed it without really trying :cool: (I love those ones). Pop a fuse in and see how it goes. I'd put a new check switch on the "to do" list in any event.

I also stand corrected, I should have referred to "main switch" and 'check switch" earlier.

Thanks for your help Mad Mac!!  We're back in business.  The wife's happy so I'm happy!!  I'm still going to replace the check switch since it's <$10.

Thanks again!!  This is a great forum!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics