Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
AFBear

Maytag washer major short!!

7 posts in this topic

HELP!!  I have a 12 year old Maytag LAT9200 washer.  After completion of a wash, the washer went dead.  Checked and found the fuse blown.  Replaced and it blew immediately.  A quick jump over the fuse block resulted in a tripped circuit breaker as expected.  I've checked for frayed wires and loose connections all the way down to the motor and everything looks fine.  Also, no signs of overheating anywhere.  Plugged in with the fuse out  does not trip the CB.  Does anyone have any suggestions as the proper sequence to isolate this short?  The schematic taped inside is not the best I've seen.  Any help would be appreciated!!!!  Thanks!!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Presume you're talking about the fuse on the lid switch assembly - generally, this blows if either the main switch or lid switch is stuck so that both are in the same position at the same time. Check the switches for correct operation.

Mad Mac - Thanks for your response!!  That is the fuse I was talking about.  Checked continuity on the lid switch: open when lid is open and closed when lid is closed - seems OK.  I'm not sure what you are calling the main switch???

I can't edit my messages but I just checked what my schematic calls the "check switch".  It's a small (1 1/8" x 5/8" x 1/2") white switch located in front of the lid switch and has a red lead in from the lid switch.  It shows lid open (RD to W-GN closed circuit) whether it is or not.  The lid closed (RD to BK) is always open.  This is obviously without power.  Is this your main switch?  It looks like it's stuck open, unless it needs power - -could this be the culprit???

Update:  when looking at parts, saw the check switch had a red button sticking out.  Mine was stuck in.  Now it seems to check OK: R to BK with button out (lid closed) and R to W-GN with button in (lid open)

Sounds like you fixed it without really trying :cool: (I love those ones). Pop a fuse in and see how it goes. I'd put a new check switch on the "to do" list in any event.

I also stand corrected, I should have referred to "main switch" and 'check switch" earlier.

[user=13]Mad Mac[/user] wrote:

Sounds like you fixed it without really trying :cool: (I love those ones). Pop a fuse in and see how it goes. I'd put a new check switch on the "to do" list in any event.

I also stand corrected, I should have referred to "main switch" and 'check switch" earlier.

Thanks for your help Mad Mac!!  We're back in business.  The wife's happy so I'm happy!!  I'm still going to replace the check switch since it's <$10.

Thanks again!!  This is a great forum!