Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

5 Ton Package Heat Pump - Repair or Replace?

az_repair_gal

az_repair_gal

Hi All,

We have a 5-ton Goettl package heat pump, installed in 1993, that works ok but needs a little work (condenser fan motor bearings, contacts, evap coil needs cleaning, etc.).  Three times in the past 8 months, the compressor has shut off on overload due to the loose bearings getting too hot.  We turn it off for about an hour to cool down, switch it back on and it works fine. 

So, ok.  17 years is more than we could reasonably expect to get out of a heat pump - especially here in Phoenix - and the Feds have that rebate program going, so we called out a company to perform the Manual J calculation and price a new unit for us.   The guy did not do the full Manual J but confirmed that we do need a 5-ton.  Based on what I've been able to find in threads on this site, that seems to be correct.

Now here's where it gets interesting.  I fully expected the guy to try to sell us a high-end system.  Instead, he told us that we have an over/under unit, and without jerry rigging the duct work (or overhauling it to the tune of about $1,500-2,000), there is only one 5-ton system on the market that will work - a 13 SEER Trane entry level over/under package unit with single-stage compressor.  Ugh.

So, no Federal rebate, no Trane rebate, no energy savings to speak of - and just shy of $6,000 installed.  The Trane has less capacity (53,500 BTU vs. 58,000 in our existing 11 SEER unit), so we will not really be gaining much, if anything, with the 'upgrade.'  And, the Trane unit comes with only a 5-year parts/compressor warranty, not the standard 10-year. Crud.

The Goettl has performed like a champ for us for more than 17 years.  When we were told that the repairs would come in at somewhere around $650-800, we were all set to send it into graceful retirement.  But now we're starting to rethink this.  Given that we really don't have an urgent need to replace the unit, and that there are no attractive replacement options, what if we repair the Goettl and hold off on the replacement unit for a while?  We could easily get a few more years out of this system with the new parts.  We would of course be gambling that the compressor will not go out, but it has never given us any trouble.  And if it did go out, the total repair cost would still be less than half the cost of a new unit. 

$6K is a huge chunk of change.  We would be gambling about 1/10 of that if we go with the repairs.  It represents something of a risk, but right now we are strongly leaning toward the repairs.  Your thoughts, as always, are greatly appreciated. What would you do if were your unit and your money...?  :D

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Call a few other places for a replacement unit quote, do not waste money repairing your present unit.

[user=7554]az_repair_gal[/user] wrote:

...  the compressor has shut off on overload due to the loose bearings getting too hot.... 

which bearings ?

The Condenser Fan bearings, mentioned earlier ?

Compressor is OK ?

az_repair_gal

Compressor is fine and there are no leaks.  Need to replace the condenser fan motor, contacts and clean the evap coils.  Will cost around $800.

I'm not an AC master and you didn't mention your model number..

or part numbers from the Condenser Motor 

but if you could replace those parts yourself, it would be alot cheaper ..

$800 is crazy for replacing a motor and cleaning the coils. All you need is a $100 motor and a gallon of coil cleaner. Why not invest in a $3 bottle of HVAC oil? Zoomspout oil is a time tested proven product that will keep your condenser motor going for years and years. Get the oil and the coil cleaner at Ace hardware store.

post-4554-129045117539_thumb.jpg

az_repair_gal

Agree, it is a bit steep.  However, I have no experience with heat pumps and it's 110 degrees in the shade.  On the roof, it's unbearable!  You should see these guys when they come off of our roof.  I think one actually fainted...  :shock:

The price included parts/labor for replacing condenser motor, replacing contactor, cleaning evap coils, flushing the very hard to get to drain pan, and a maint agreement that includes one more service call over the next 12 months.  By opting for the maint agreement we saved 10% discount on parts and labor, which lowered the overall bill considerably.  And, in the event the compressor does fail sometime in the next year, it will save us some coin.   90 day warranty on parts, so this should get us through our blazing Phoenix summer.

The repairs have been made, the unit is working more efficiently than before, and we are pleased with our decision.  Thanks for your input and I will get the Zoomspout oil, if you can tell me what to do with it and how often we need to use it.

Use it on any motors you have around the house. Keeping the bearings lubed greatly extends the life of motors. The tube extends out so you can reach hard to get at blower motor ports.

• 1 month later...
atcherservice

If the unit turns on and off ok, I would skip the contractors. Just go with the fan motor. I know a servicerou in Phoenix if u still need service. I am a servicerou in Vegas right now 410a systems are what they will try and sell u. See If u can eek a few more years on this one because the new system wil need you to Change the outside and inside unit as well. Get a good degreaser chemical at lows put it in a spray bottle hit the coils then spray with a garden horse to wash out. That should be a cheep way to clean ur coils for now. Guys are putting in fan Myra up here for half the price u were quoted. Good luck and stay cool

Archived