Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool washer makes with the weird noises!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JenniferOK

JenniferOK

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 08:59 PM

While doing the 47th heavy-duty wash cycle with extra rinse on a particularly stubborn piece of material that's bleeding dye like crazy, I noticed the washer suddenly start a clicking/rattling noise when the motor runs.

It SEEMS to still be working just fine, as I can see it agitating when I open the lid to look at all the blue dye floating around. During the drain/spin cycle, the water drains but I suspect it may not always be spinning -- I open the lid to see that the water is gone, close the lid and THEN notice the slight vibration that says "yes I'm spinning now". I haven't yet caught it in the act of not actually spinning, but I suspect it's being sneaky that way.

And then just on this last wash cycle, it started up with a squeaky sound, like a belt that I know it doesn't have.

Is this the drive coupler going bad, or something else?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 13 September 2005 - 05:09 AM

It's hard without hearing it myself.

The spinning problem could be the transmission fialing to go from neutral to spin. If so, it's new transmission time or a shopping trip. Under 5 years the part is covered, but not the labor(125$) in my area.

It could be the timer not pausing between pump and spin. It's kinda rare, but it can happen.

The motor noise is likely from extensive use. The bearings start to wear out, and it gets loud. It's easy to replace, but the the part isn't cheap (maybe 150-190$)

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#3 JenniferOK

JenniferOK

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 08:49 AM

It WAS a quick fast chattering noise. I also noticed this morning when loading laundry that the top half of the agitator seemed wobbly. Not a lot, maybe a quarter inch from side to side, but it USED to be rock solid.

Then, mid-spin cycle (where I was watching, and it agitated fine, but when spin cycle started it didn't start spinning until I lifted the lid and put it back down), it suddenly quit. Kaput. no sound, nothing. Only half drained, too.

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 15 September 2005 - 08:55 AM

One the chattering sounds like agitator dogs, the top part should be loose from the base, not rock solid, if it is a dual action agitator.   If the dogs are worn the top of the agitator will rattle.  Two, when you closed the lid you might have broken your lid switch, this would make the washer dead for drain and spin, might want to check this lid switch???
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 JenniferOK

JenniferOK

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 10:57 AM

Turns out I am overly paranoid for no reason (big surprise). The "not spinning" behavior was me catching it right at the start of the pause cycle. Every time I happened to walk into the laundry room. Sigh.

The rattling did turn out to be the motor coupler. This is a 15+year old machine, with the original WHITE coupler, nicely chewed out in the center with plastic gookus everywhere!

Now if only I'd been sure I could lift and move the cabinet around, I could have saved myself $70 in repair fees...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics