Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
viqx

Two non-urgent, non-repair questions I can't find the answers to

2 posts in this topic

I have a LER2641EW1 Whirlpool dryer.  It is the most simple dryer I've ever had (one big knob, no button-driven choices on heat or fabric or whatever -- 12:00-6:00 is timed dry, 6:01-11:59 is sensed dry, end of story) and it got me thinking:  how on this machine does the dryness sensor work?  I sort of have a grasp on how the radio-button style ones function (thanks to the breakdown on the appliantology pages, of course), but without those, I don't understand.  How does the knob "know"?  It looks suspiciously like it just does a timed dry either way and the knob goes clockwise instead of counter-...   Second, just wondering why a lint filter on top is better than the one inside the door?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Usually the "sensor dry" is controlled by the thermostat. The timer motor only runs during the time the thermostat is at or above it's set point(open contact). Or in other words, the timer is stalled when the thermostat is closed, and the burner is on. It's pretty simple and people like it.

The filter on the top models are alot safer. In my opinion, the models with the filter in the door should only be used by people who will inspect and clean the inside of the machine regularly.

Nick