Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Scale Blaster - Success or Snake Oil?

dbiberdorf

In trying to resolve my bigtime hard water problem (16 gpg or so), which results in poor cleaning in my dishwasher, I called out my plumber to discuss plumbing options for a traditional water softener.

He looked it over and said I was a prime candidate for a Scale Blaster SB-150. It's an electrical device that pulses current through wires wrapped around the pipe.

Plumber assured me that he, too, was a skeptic, but, after seeing the significant reduction in scale build up in a family's electric water heater (from 5 inches of accumulated scale to a couple of inches of goopy mess after 90 days), he's a believer.

Will such a device get my effective water hardness down and make my dishwasher work again?

What say you, masters?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$ 800   :spaz:

you can buy a lot of smoke & mirrors for $ 800

Indeed, RegUS_PatOff.

However, none of my options is particularly cheap.

1. Dishwasher with a built-in softener: $1400-$1600; couple hundred bucks if I gamble on used and spend several hours getting it and installing it.
  2. Traditional water softener: $600 - $1000, plus plumbing modifications (including a drain for the backwash).
  3. The Scale Blaster Gizmo: $900 (they install it, check it again in 90 days).

Ugh.

I agree with you. I'm only considering it because my (reputable) plumber is advising it as the most cost-effective course of action. I didn't ask whether it came with a satisfaction guarantee. Perhaps I should.

• 3 weeks later...

.   A client of mine had picked up a ScaleWatcher

http://www.scalewatcher.com/

and had me install it for her.

.   I was back on a unrelated matter and asked her how it worked.  She told me she used to have to remove her showerhead every month or two and soak it in vinegar to get it working again.  Now it has been well over a year and she hasn't had to clean it at all.

.   I have another client that runs out of hot water because her boiler gets such deposits the heat doesn't penetrate the tube well.  She has the boiler technician come and clean it regularly.  I've been pushing her to try it, because it would be another definitive case.

.   The installation instructions are very detailed about how the wire must be wrapped how far it must be from intersections etc.  If it is as important as they say, then I gather a lot of people install them wrong and then think they don't work well.

. Bottom line: hers works great, was installed correctly, and cost about $500.  There is a smaller version for $180.

Archived