Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to troubleshoot using schematics like a real tech…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
jl2695

maytag dryer won't start

8 posts in this topic

I have a commercial coin operated maytag dryer (model MDG16CSAWW) at a small appartment complex that has quit on me.  It began having problems a couple of weeks ago as reported by my tenants.  It would run for one cycle but then would not start again for about 30 minutes.  After waiting it would usually start up again and run fine.  Now it will not start up at all.  I live about 60 miles away and am trying to get some idea of what might be wrong before I go up there and check it out.  What should I look for oh wise one??

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Sounds like the motor is overheating and cutting out on the overload.  MIght be all the way gone by now..

that doesn't sound good.  Are these motors hard to replace?  What about something simpler like a thermal switch?  Is motor burnout a common problem?  This unit is about 6 years old.

update:  I just had one of my tenants attempt to run the dryer.  She said it started up just fine and she let it run for about 15-20 seconds and opened the door, when she went to start it again it would not start.  What is going on here?  I was all ready to go buy a new motor but it doesn't seem like it's the motor overheating after just a few seconds runing without any load in it.   This seems to be consistant with the other reports I've heard.  The dyrer runs fine until you open the door.  Then it takes a few minutes (15 or so) and it will restart.  Any new ideas master?

Need to see if the motor is getting voltage or not when it cuts out.  If it is getting voltage then you have to suspect the internal motor overload is tripped, when it resets it will run again.  Of course you might have something binding the drum so the motor overheats, you will need to go do some sluthing on this unit I would imagine...

Well it turned out to be a bad motor.  Evidently it would run fine until someone opened the door and then the heat would build up and it wouldn't start again.  I took the belt off of the drum and the motor wouldn't spin even with the load removed.  Thanks for the help anyway.

Jon

Welcome....;)

Here's the motor and pulley assembly you need: CLICK HERE.