Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool ice maker

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 aportega

aportega

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:03 AM

I have a counter-depth 2 yr old whirpool side by side. The icemaker is the old style (not in door) and it's been having issues for about 4 weeks. The "arm" gets stuck in the up position. Partial ice cubes are stuck in the tray and on the "prongs" above the tray. It also seems to be throwing cubes behind the bin, and making huge "ice balls" by leaking water into the bin.

Thoughts about what I should replace first? Pressure on the water dispenser in the door is also poor co-incidentally with the icemaker problems.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,147 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:26 AM

Start by going to the sadle valve that attaches to your water line. Take it off, drill out the hole with 1/8" drill bit and put it back together. Make sure the rubber gasket doesn't cover the hole when you re-assemble everything.

test it and let us know

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#3 jahjahbinks

jahjahbinks

idoit / voyer/ anarcist

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:ABSOLUT & GREEN TEA

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:09 PM

i would also suggest installing a inline filter to prevent the valve inlet screen for getting pluged
SHE WHO HAS THE MONEY GETS HIS APPLIANCES REPAIRED

Currently serving EVERYTHING

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:34 PM

The water thru the door is always slowwwwwwwww.....
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 aportega

aportega

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 01:34 PM

I have a valve at the wall - where would the saddle valve be? 

I've used a lot of water thru the door - this one is painfully slow and getting worse.  I'd say 3-5 min to fill a cup of water.  My old amana and ge were at least twice as fast.

There's a filter (built in) so should I put a filter in line before the fridge?  I need to install a whole house anyway.

Oh, the other thing is that my (*&%^%# builder plumbed the hot water line to the fridge.  He swore this was how it was to be done.

Thanks!

#6 aportega

aportega

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 02:23 PM

Ok, pulled it out, inspected the line, valve, etc.  It's fully open at the wall.  There is a line going into the fridge into the filter, then back up to the icemaker.  I pulled out all the ice, melted it all out of the bin, and took a hairdryer to the rest.  There was a lot of built up ice on the tray itself.  it appears that the prongs (for lack of a better word) never got any lower than 15 degrees above the ice tray due to buildup.  They don't go much lower now that they are clear.  The line coming into the fridge had a lot of ice in it blocking it partially.  There's a vent pointing toward the ice tray - what does that do?  The plastic piece that holds the back side of the arm is loose, but holds in place.  Is that supposed to be loose?

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 04:03 PM

Saddle valve is where the water line hooks up to your houe plumbing.....ON THE COLD WATER LINE ONLY.....YOUR PLUMBER IS STUPID........your fill valve is mounded on the back bottom of the frig.....you either do not have enough water pressure to the fill valve or your fill valve is going bad, and no wonder with HOT WATER FROM YOUR WATER HEATER CLOGGING EVERYTHING UP......sheesh.....sorry to be yelling but that is the dumbest thing I have read all year.....vent pointing at the ice maker helps it freeze the water sooner for more ice......the line to the frig will be full of ice if you are not getting enough water thru the line to flush all of the water out...not enough water pressure....have you changed your filter???? it could be clogged, need to replace every 6 months.  Yes the on/off arm should be loose in the rear bearing, fill cup assy...I am suspecting a water valve going down or a clogged filter if the water pressure is good to the frig....

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#8 aportega

aportega

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 05:23 PM

Ok, I'll swap out the filter and see if it improves.  I do need to change it.  I knew I should have insisted he change the hot to cold to the fridge....  we argued about it for about an hour, and I even made the plumber come out to explain it.  They insisted that it was better because it fed less junk (sediment) to the fridge because it settles in the bottom of the hot water heater.

thanks!

#9 aportega

aportega

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 05:26 PM

My husband is sure our plumber was actually drunk :-)

#10 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 06:23 PM

Drunk or dopped, why on earth would anyone want hot water feeding into the frig???  Only thing stupider I have read is the delivery dudes tapping the water line from the house into the freon line of the frig., filled that sealed system right up with water.  They had to replace that box.  No, there is one worse than that, the delivery guys that connected the water line from the frig to the copper line that went to the oil tank for the heating system.....now that just would not work at all.....

#11 jahjahbinks

jahjahbinks

idoit / voyer/ anarcist

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:ABSOLUT & GREEN TEA

Posted 14 September 2005 - 02:55 AM

maybe he mistook the fridge for the dishwasher, or the the setup was originaly designed for a dishwasher?
SHE WHO HAS THE MONEY GETS HIS APPLIANCES REPAIRED

Currently serving EVERYTHING

#12 aportega

aportega

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 05:28 AM

Nope- he said he did it on purpose....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics