Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

• Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Looking to have Kitchenaid Refrigerator compressor replaced (Frederick, MD)

Ladd

I'm looking for someone to replace the compressor in our KitchenAid KSRS25QWWH13 refrigerator. We live just outside of Frederick, MD. Please leave a message here if you are interested in doing this (or you know someone who might).

Thanks,

Ladd

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ladd

• ROBBYRIG

• KurtiusInterupptus

• appl.tech.29501

If you call Whirlpool they will give you the authorized servicers in your area.

[user=27301]appl.tech.29501[/user] wrote:

If you call Whirlpool they will give you the authorized servicers in your area.
Thanks for the tip! I'll give them a try.

I called four service companies today (picked out of the phone book) and three of them don't replace compressors anymore. One of them still does and will be giving me a quote tomorrow, but off the top of their head estimates $1,000 in labor plus parts, which is considerably higher than I had anticipated.

[user=3641]RegUS_PatOff[/user] wrote:

what's the symptoms ?
About six years ago, one or more of the springs holding the compressor motor weakened or broke so that when the compressor stopped, it banged loudly against the metal casing. Upon reading here that there was no immediate danger to life or food, we learned to live with it. Very interesting looks on people's faces when it went CLUNK! while they were sitting at the kitchen table.

About a year ago, the springs must have weakened further, as the compressor doesn't clank anymore when turning off, but it now hums much more loudly when running. I'm assuming the motor is resting against the metal casing now. No loss in chilling performance, so we've lived with that also.

A little while ago, the vibrations have gotten noisier and even though chilling performance still appears to be fine, the noise has reached my level of "I can't take this anymore", so it's time to do something.

Replacing the refrigerator, while it would be nice to have a new one, would cost about $2100 and that would definitely not be nice. Literally the only trouble we've ever had with our current fridge was once the icemaker stopped working (and I fixed it following advice found here) and the water valve finally let so little water through that I had to replace that (following advice found here and a part purchased from RepairClinic).

If replacing the compressor for less than half the cost of purchasing a new one restores quiet to the house and adds years to the life of a refrigerator that we really like, that seems like good value to me.

a grand is a bit steep in my neck of the woods, considering the service compressor at repair clinic is a mere $265. this kit includes the requisite  filter drier so you wouldnt need to purchase one of those. as a basis for comparison ,if i did this job it would cost you

$265 for compressor kit

$200 labor

$99.95 tripcharge

$21.20 nc sales tax on part

$586.15 total

good luck finding a reputable service company to do this. and like appl.tech said,call wp and get their list of authorized servicers to chose from.

$1000 is crazy or maybe I live in the wrong area as well Kurtius is on the money. I could see $650 at the most.

The best thing is to ask them the total with out the part and you buy the part.

I don't know........when we change compressors, a lot of times the evap needs to be changed also. Yes I'll admit it sometimes is simply to CYA, but most of the time that's what needs to be done.

ps: There's no way we'd go out on a customers diagnosis and just change their compressor.

i guess it doesnt go without saying that i would have to confirm the diagnosis first, but i have heard the noise this guy is talking about and it does sound like he needs a compressor.

i only replace the evaporator if i have reason to believe it is leaking or restricted, not warranted in this case as he states that the performance appears to be fine.

judgment call i reckon...

• Team Samurai

The noise could just be chatter from a refrigerant tubing vibrating on the chassis. An offset condensate drain pan can cause it, too. Have you put your hand on the compressor to verify that it's the true source of the noise?

[user=1]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

The noise could just be chatter from a refrigerant tubing vibrating on the chassis. An offset condensate drain pan can cause it, too. Have you put your hand on the compressor to verify that it's the true source of the noise?
Oh, I have that noise too -- much higher pitched and quite irritating. I've spent lots of time down on the floor wedging corks into various places trying to get it to stop. No luck.

As to touching the compressor casing, I tried it once and burnt my hand. It was really, really hot. And yes, the large fan aimed at the casing runs fine.

One question that hasn't been raised or answered.

The Kitchenaid side-by-side is an R-12 unit; evidently they started to switch away from R-12 shortly after mine was manufacturered.

If I am to have the compressor replaced, doesn't it and everything else related have to be switched over to the freon type used today?

You would need an R12 compressor. The WP part #4387772 from repair clinic is $303.75. I got that part to cross reference to a GE part number that (believe it or not) is cheaper than the Whirlpool. I guess there's a first for everything. GE part #WR91X22 $132.30.

[user=34365]ROBBYRIG[/user] wrote:

You would need an R12 compressor
OK.

Where does the technician get R12 freon to refill the system (above and beyond what is salvaged from removing the old compressor)?  I thought they stopped making it ...