Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenomore front load washer, doesn't do the spin cycle

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 roman

roman

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:41 PM

I have a 417.29052991 Kenmore front load washer (about 5 years old). 

The tub doesn't spin in the Rinse/spin cycle or the Final spin.   But it looks like the adgetate works.  All the pumps look like they work also.  The timer works.  It progresses normally to the finish.  The spin doesn't work in any of the other locations on the timer (Delicate/hand wash, permanent press). 

It does do that little 2 slow spins to balance the load.  It will do that 3 times.  But it never takes off.  (I did try manually balancing the load and I tried it with 3 different loads and it still didn't spin).  You can hear something in the machine humming during this cycle. 

I haven't taken the rear panel off yet and haven't started checking anything, but thougth I would check with you folks if there is a common solution to this.

Thank you, Roman

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:12 PM

First place I'd look is the door catch. Check for cracks or missing bits.

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#3 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:45 PM

then suspect the motor controller/speed board
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,810 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 September 2005 - 03:44 AM

Ooo, the new generation of speed control, they're so cyoot!

http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=823078

#5 roman

roman

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:36 AM

I checked the door switch.  Looked ok.  (quite a few wires coming out of it).   Did get the wiring diagram from under the tub. 

I couldn't see how the door switch would give me a problem with just the spin cycle.  It looks like if that switch was bad, it would be bad for all motor functions.  Unless one of those wires coming out of the switch is dedicated to the spin cycle.

Then I did the motor/speed control diagnostic.  The only discrepency I found in my test was on the speed controller.  It indicated that pins 1 and 4 should have infinit resistance, and if you had about 6ohms resistance that the speed controller was bad.  I didn't have 6 ohms but I did have 2.004 ohms.  What do you think?  That might be enough to keep the spin cycle from going full power?

One of your sponsers has a 30 day retrun policy (even on electronic parts!!!!)  Might just try and swap boards.  Any other ideas?

Roman

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,810 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 September 2005 - 10:14 AM

[user=3417]roman[/user] wrote:

One of your sponse

That's only if you order the part through this link:

http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=823078

#7 selemckert

selemckert

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 09:21 AM

Start looking for your warranty information.  My washer (417.29052991) also less than 5 years old started making strange knocking noises in the spin cycle, too.  :X  Then it started leaking and it wouldn't pump out all the water.  Then the jet plane noise and a "crash landing" took place.   I called the Sears repairman.  He took the top off the machine and said, "I've never seen anything like this.  You have a hole in it..."  I guess it is called the drum.  A huge chunk was missing and I could see inside my tub through the hole.  How could this happen to my machine?  I didn't abuse it.  Didn't put anything combustible in it.  Of course I cannot locate my warranty information.  The estimate for repairs was over $400 so I am looking for another machine.    Will anyone buy a Kenmore front loader again?  Not me. -- Through the wringer in Charlotte, NC   

#8 roman

roman

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 11:27 AM

well, i got the motor controler in, hooked it in and nada, same old problem with the spin cylce.

I gues I need to check the timer.  any other ideas?

Roman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics