Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Speed Queen Washer Leaking Grease Into Drum

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 plantsman57

plantsman57

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:15 PM

I've got a approx. 10 year old Speed Queen (so-called) Commercial Heavy Duty Washer, Extra Large Capacity. Model No. is AWM392W, s/n R9310016817 582B. Their is brown/green grease coming out from underneath the agitator during the spin cycle and is staining my clothese. It doesn't leave noticeable amounts in the drum every time but I've noticed that it's got on several articles of clothing lately in almost every load.

Is their some sort of seal underneath the agitar whereby the grease is being slung out? How do I get the agitator out of this model? Is this transmission grease and is it fatal? Any and all help would be appreciated. This washer has been trouble free up till now (unlike it's mate a matching SQ dryer), other than on the permanent press cycle, the water won't shut off on the rinse cycle. I've worked around that by not using that cycle, just regular or gentle.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Kiwi-nadian

Kiwi-nadian

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:11 PM

It is probably just a build up of fabric softener/scum from under the agitator and/or the drum.

You want to put 1 cup of  dishwasher powder , set it to hot wash, highest water level, and a heavy wash cycle (if possible), and start the cycle. 

Let us know how it works ;).

please help us to help you, http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#3 plantsman57

plantsman57

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 01:55 PM

No, this is definitely grease. It looks almost exactly like the green grease used in automotive front-end zirk fittings. I've now noticed it leaving tiny lines of it radiating outward in the bottom of the drum under the agitator. Wiped it out with paper tissue, definitely grease. I can't figure out how to remove the agitator on this. No top fitting to remove to get to a nut or something. Perhaps it will just pull upwards to remove?

#4 Kiwi-nadian

Kiwi-nadian

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 11:30 PM

There could be a clamping screw on the side of the agitator (recessed).  Check here before busting a gut trying to rip the thing out.:headbang:
please help us to help you, http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,837 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 September 2005 - 04:24 AM

Some agitator removal help here:

http://fixitnow.com/...on-removing.htm

#6 cindylou

cindylou

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 10:29 AM

I am having the EXACT same problem with my Speed Queen washer as well.  Please tell how you fixed it!!!

#7 Lurker_JUSTBEER_*

Lurker_JUSTBEER_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 03 October 2005 - 08:42 AM

ITS YOUR TRANMISSION.   I  HAD THE SAME PROBLEM, REPLACE OR BUY NEW WASHER

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,837 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 04 October 2005 - 05:32 AM

From Bob Sankie:

Hold on there........ If it IS a speed Queen and its less than 10 years old they will replace the transmission (parts only)

Bob Sankie
Coastal Appliance Heating & AC
San Diego's North County
www.coastalappliances.com

#9 plantsman57

plantsman57

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 11:12 AM

I talked to two area appliance repairmen that I trust. Both said it was the transmission and was beyond economical repair. Even if under parts warranty, the labor would still make it beyond economical repair and neither wanted to tackle it. Sears had a sale this past weekend on Kenmore/Whirlpools. Got a new deluxe 70 series model, two speed, 5 cycle, a bigger tub and very quiet. $349 delivered and they hauled away the old one and no interest for one year. It was too hard to pass up.

#10 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 07 October 2005 - 11:29 AM

You made a good decision..... ;)  As long as it was not a Calypso or Catalyst....what is the model number, series tells us nothing except what line it is.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#11 plantsman57

plantsman57

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:51 AM

It was a Model #26742.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics