Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Update to my Kenmore/Whirlpool Icemaker Blues

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 km

km

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 11:46 AM

So here is my tale of woe.

My Kenmore/Whirlpool (106.9542812, manufactured in '94) refrigerator and ice-maker was making ice perfectly fine till last week, and then suddenly, it stopped. Lowering the ice-maker arm, raising it, lowering it again within a 40 hour cycle was of no use.

But when I pulled out the bin yesterday, I noticed there was a 2.5 inch thick slab of ice in it. So I poured some lukewarm water and let it thaw. After letting it dry for a couple of hours, I inserted the ice-bin back in place ("all the way", like the manual told me to), lowered the metal arm, but still nothing happened. I heard the "whirr" once or twice, but no "thud": nothing in the bin.

I also noticed small icicles hanging at various points (including directly behind the dispenser on the door - the opening through which the ice falls), which means there is probably a drip or a leak somewhere. Sure enough, there is a tiny drip from behind the ice dispenser (on the door). The water dispenser is working fine.

Any wisdom or technical guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jahjahbinks

jahjahbinks

idoit / voyer/ anarcist

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:ABSOLUT & GREEN TEA

Posted 13 September 2005 - 11:53 AM

time to replace the ice maker , it comes as a kit , but can you verfiy that you are getting water to the unit (cloged screen) in the water inlet valve.
SHE WHO HAS THE MONEY GETS HIS APPLIANCES REPAIRED

Currently serving EVERYTHING

#3 km

km

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:15 PM

Sensei Jahjahbinks, thanks for the response. A newbie I am, so please bear with me.

When you suggest I check if "you are getting water to the unit (cloged screen) in the water inlet valve", I am afraid I did not understood that clearly. Can you please clarify?

And just out of curiosity, do you think a replacement of the entire kit is the best option here?

Thanks in advance,

#4 jahjahbinks

jahjahbinks

idoit / voyer/ anarcist

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:ABSOLUT & GREEN TEA

Posted 13 September 2005 - 02:18 PM

i don`t know if you have water in the door , however if you go to the rear of the unit you will see your water line loosen the nut that connects the water line to the fridge (do not remove) and give it a wiggle if the water squirts out steady not dripping then your water supply is o.k. your problem  is probely your water valve (they do go out) but to be absolute sure you will need a continutity tester also check to make sure the plug to the valve is seated correctly.

remember safety first always disconnect the power first!

SHE WHO HAS THE MONEY GETS HIS APPLIANCES REPAIRED

Currently serving EVERYTHING

#5 km

km

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 03:44 PM

The water dispenser on the door is working just fine. Guess I will try the diagnostics suggested by you.

Thanks,

#6 km

km

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 05:47 AM

Further to my post yesterday, I made a tiny change to the thermostat setting (made it colder.) Voila, there was the much-awaited "thud thud thud" in the ice-box at night. I saw at least 8-10 ice-cubes in the bin.

However, I didn't hear any more ice-cubes falling in the morning. Is that normal? Should I wait a little longer to see more output?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

P.S.: Model: 106.9542812, manufactured in '94

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 14 September 2005 - 06:24 AM

Your ice maker should go thru a harvest cycle aprox every 2 hours, depending on how cold the freezer is, the ice maker will not work well above 10 * and probably not at all over 20*, have you checked to see what the temperature of the freezer actually is???
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#8 km

km

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:01 AM

Hi, Pegi,

I have not actually taken a temp reading with a thermometer, but now that you have mentioned 10 degrees and 20 degrees, I want to find out. What is the easiest way to take this reading? (other than sticking my hand in, that is)

Thanks for your time and ideas,

#9 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:08 AM

Go to Wal-Mart or any grocery store, etc. and buy two frig thermometers, sits on the shelfs, I always have two in mine so I can know if any problem is developing.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#10 km

km

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 11:55 AM

Pegi,

I read this wonderful site's FAQ, took a look at the fridge's thermostat setting, read the FAQ again, turned up (as in "down") the thermostat and sure enough, there was ice.

Thanks,

#11 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 12:01 PM

:party:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics