Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Patagonian

Er If code on Kenmore Elite Er If - out of options

2 posts in this topic

I have a Kenmore Elite Refrigerator Model 795.77563600 which I bought in April 2007. I have an error code Er IF, which is a malfunction in the ice freezer DC fan according to the service manual page 26. The fridge is made by LG, and rebadged as Kenmore Elite.

So naturally, I tried replacing the fan (LG# 5209JA1044A) behind the grille in the freezer compartment, but the error IF came back. I then tried replacing the main PCB assembly (EBR34917104), and that did not eliminate the code either. In TEST 1 mode by pushing the reset button on the main PCB, the terminal 4 (Red) and 5 (Blue) reads 0.05~0.1V (DC), which should be reading 12~16V. So I believe there is a faulty PCB, but I don't think two PCB will fail in the same manner back to back.

Could it be that the wire to the motor is somehow short circuited and keeps frying the PCB? Aren't there any protection for these kinds of failure? How do I go about replacing the wire harness? By the way, this is not an issue where there is ice build-up. I checked behind the grill and defroster where the ice maker fan is, and it is absolutely clean.

Any suggestion from the expert would be greatly appreciated.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I always find these iced up between the ice bank motor and the evaporator - even blocks the return air, haven't figured out the cause yet but usually replacing that duct ass'y in the upper L.H. corner get's the fridge going again (don't know for how long)