Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Profile fridge model # PSC23SGPASS: Replace Interface Display Asssembly?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 akahan

akahan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:12 PM

Hi!  As suggested by the subject line, I have a GE Refrigerator, model # PSC23SGPASS.  This is a side-by-side, with a water and ice dispenser in the freezer door.

Certain people < ahem > have overenthusiastically pressed the "water" and "cubed ice" buttons on the display panel on the freezer door (called an "interface display assembly) so that it is now cracked and ugly, and hurts your fingers when you try to make these selections, unless you have lots of callouses.

I have a replacement interface display panel on the way.  But how do I get the old one out?  Does it just pry loose from the freezer door somehow?  Is there a trick?  Or do I have to disassemble the door from the inside to get at the backside of the assembly to disconnect it or push it out the front?  Or something else?  The exploded diagram in the parts list isn't very clear about what's holding it in.  (It's part # WR55X10298 . ) 

Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 ROBBYRIG

ROBBYRIG

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 04:16 AM

Very easy task.

Use both hands, pull on the bottom of the display and it will pop right out. It may seem as if it will break, but I've never broken one.

#3 akahan

akahan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:33 AM

Wow! Well, that's certainly easier than I expected. Will let you know how it goes when the replacement gets here... and THANKS!:party:

#4 akahan

akahan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:48 PM

Back to report that the replacement arrived, and, as you said, it couldn't have been easier. Others who are attempting this task should be advised that it goes from "even a chimp could do it" to "even the stupidest chimp you know could do it" if you (or the chimp) first removes the big plastic fascia that goes around the whole icemaker assembly on the outer door of the freezer (it just pulls off). Then, you can actually see the little tabs that are holding the display assembly in, and how to sort of slide it up and out form the bottom without snapping them. There are also three electrical connectors, held in with clips, which must be removed and then plugged into the new assembly, but it's impossible to screw it up. They are different sizes from one another, and can only go into their sockets one way. If you pulled the assembly out with WAY too much force, it might be possible to break one of these electrical connectors, so make sure your chimp understands that if he's pulling too hard (hard enough to hurt your fingers), he's probably doing it wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics