Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

whirlpool gw395lepsoo slide in gas range prolem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bswaniii

bswaniii

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:58 AM

I have a whirlpool gas range that I am running on  propane. I have several issues but I'll start with the most important. brief background, I purchased this at an estate and was told everything worked fine just the oven didn't work (wouldn't light) and it had been repaired prior by replacing a sensor and it stopped working again so they replaced this unit and now I'm am trying to get it working so I can replace my old white unit with this cool looking stainless one. Alright, the main issue. I hooked the unit up to a 20# tank to test in my shop and like mentioned the oven went through all the motions but would never light. So I moved on to the burners and they would barely make a flame, but would start out good but non responsive to the controls just a dull ball shaped flame at each ''port'' . so I unhooked the gas to make sure it wasn't restricted since it appeared that was the issue due to the weak flame. upon re connecting I could hear gas flow when turning the knob only problem way to much gas flow! like my turkey fryer! I have a 10# regulator on my tank which I believe is what propane is supposed to run on. Bad pressure regulator? I made sure the brass ''plug'' was flipped for propane conversion, orifices changed as well. I'm using a hose off of a propane fireplace that has a gas modulator inline. I have it in the full open which should be same as connecting to gasline @ 10 psi. I'm thinking I have a bad pressure reg. on the back of the stove letting the full 10 psi in????

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:55 AM

The finicky and troublesome direct spark ignition system-- they were wise to get rid of it.

No spark at all at the ignitor? Occasional spark and then locks out? Any error codes? What the part number of the sensor you replaced?

Some pearls from one of the many service bulletins on this range:

1. The supply voltage is critical to proper operation of the DSI System. The maximum acceptable voltage for the system is 132 VAC, and the minimum is 102 VAC. If the voltage is above the acceptable limit, permanent damage could occur to the DSI module. If the voltage is below the acceptable limit, sparking will not be reliable. This condition will affect the top surface, bake, and broil burners.
2. On first production units, the 120 VAC outlet must be wired for the correct polarity. If the power supply polarity is re- versed, the DSI module will not be able to detect a flame. Reverse polarity will not affect the cooktop operation, but the bake and broil burners will fail to maintain a flame. More re- cent production uses a new spark module (#8522394) that corrects the polarity internally.
3. The DSI Module must be properly grounded. The DSI module generates a significant amount of electrical noise. This noise is minimized if the module is properly grounded. If a proper ground is not connected, the Electronic Range Control (ERC) may periodically display “PF.” This indicates that a reset has occurred in the ERC.
4. Open solenoid(s) at the gas distribution valve.

#3 bswaniii

bswaniii

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:58 AM

when the oven is set to pre heat (turned on) I can hear the ingnitor ''ticking'' then it waits the set time then trys again. appears to be no gas flow, just the opposite of the burner eyes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics