LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

General question regarding air filters

Pele

So the little filter reminder on my digital thermostat said it's been three months since I last hit the reset button... Coincidentally that's when I put a new filter up in the return. Time to head to wally world to pick up a replacement.

16x20x1...

I have allergies as does my wife. I also have emergency food rations... I mean pests... I mean pets.

I usually use the high end $14 3M Filtrete, electrostatic charged, allergen reduction filters. They're usually on the shelf next to the cheapo pleated paper and fiberglass filters.

I usually stack a prefilter in front of it. A cottony foam mesh and a carbon layer. It catches the major stuff and I just vacuum it, then the good filter goes behind that.

Today, I found something different... Next to my usual 3Ms, I found some Dupont electrostatic filters too...

Each one's package said it's the best.

One of the two or BOTH of them are wrong.

Who's lying?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know the answer, but you could look into getting an electrostatic air cleaner

installed in place of (or in addition to) your furnace air filter.

we have a Trion TTM MAX5 installed (an addition to regular air filter) on our furnace for about 15 yrs ..

about 7" wide

uses washable (in dishwasher) "filter/electrode/grates"

I have serviced quite a few electronic air cleaners over the years, manufactured by Emerson Electric, that considt of "cells" that you slide into the return duct and then attach a high voltage power box to - I believe this is what you are referring to - was always told not to wash them in D/W as it causes corrosion between the plates - use a spray cleaner and pressure wash

^

Next house, I will build with the anticipation of adding one of those. This house has the air handler in the attic rafters with a very low pitch roof; no room for additional gear.

I thought some pleated filters had an electrostatic charge to catch particles. A great many claim to at least.

Most MFG.'s of heat/cool. Units do not recommend the usuage of those filters as they hinder air flow. I had all kids of problems with my unit acting crazy and finally traced it down to the 3M filter...went back to the regular filter and haven't had anymore issues. All units are not the same and yours may work properly....just my 2 cents ;)

Just get the el cheapo filters and change em more often

• 2 weeks later...

HOLY CRAP!!!! NEVER USE FIBERGLASS FILTERS!!! At least use the cruddy cheap pleated filters that most megamarts offer. If possible it is preferable to get commercial quality pleated filters(ACE HARDWARE seems to have some of the filters we use on the commercial level).

The super duper 3-M and other similar "alergy" filters CAN cause problems due to restricted airflow. If the fan is running when you put in your new fancy filter and it snaps into place so hard that you have trouble getting it out while the fan is still running, it may be too restrictive to airflow. Bad things happen with restricted airflow like freezing evaporator coils(summer), or furnaces that shut down due to overheating(winter).

Lastly the Electronic air cleaners.........hmmmmm what to say........Oh yeh!!! They kinda work for a while and then they break and can't be fixed. Many air cleaners crap out after as little as 5 years. OH, WAIT!!! They make really cool ZAP-POP noises while they still work. That makes up for their downfalls right??

Also, Most people don't have the patience to take apart a device to clean it every couple of months. Especially if said device is in a hot attic or in a crawlspace under a raised house (got alot of both of those in new orleans).

Just my 2 cents

• 1 month later...

A 4 to 5 " extended media filter is the best way to go. 1" filters should be banned and the electrostatic filters lose efficiency as soon as they are dirty and can be costly to repair. April air has the space gard, best bang for the buck? The blower wheel needs to be kept clean.

You might want to keep this in mind:

A lot of microbiological critters seem to hang around in the drain pan and the A-coil. The actual heat from a heat pump does not get hot enough to wipe out these critters. In fact it promotes their growth. As time goes by these dudes begin to get funky. The fine folks at Invensys have come up with a simple install to kill the micro-organisms. Using a long UV lamp mounted in the blower housing helps kill all them critters and greatly improve the air quality of your home. The kit simply plugs into a wall outlet 120 volts. Install is easy. Directions come with the kit.

This pdf shows specs: Invensys UV light kit

Archived