Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Lost with the new appliances? The Samurai teaches you Circuit Fu…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
mountaineerintx

Maytag dishwasher repair

66 posts in this topic

I'm just puting in my $.03 worth (inflation) to thank the guys who blazed the trail on this one.  I was pleased to find I received the 'new, improved' part, but even with the directions I was having problems assembling it. 

A little studying and I discovered it was possible to trip the latch without benefit of a spare actuator.  All it requires is a small screwdriver and a broken toothpick to hold up the two springs that prevent it from tripping unless the actuator is present.  Once tripped, installation is a snap ;) - didn't even have to use the pliers, just the small screwdriver.

PlainBill

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

;)

Hi, just replaced my maytag 7600 handle (this is the 3rd handle), of my 3 year old dishwasher, thanks to your help. New problem is that it keeps running when I open the door. Handle does seem stiff, but does open and close. Water sprayed everywhere when I went to add a dish.

Any suggestions?

Funny....lol....sounds like something is jammed in the door handle, making the unit think the door is closed...might have to take it apart to see what is up with it or the switch in the latch has welded together...

I replaced my handle (major pain) in my Maytag dishwasher model MDBTT59AWw.  The dishwasher worked fine for about four weeks.  Now, I can push the wash cycle buttons (heavy, normal, etc.) but cannot get the dishwasher to work.  When I press start, nothing.  Also, the wash cycle buttons light up for about 20 seconds and then go dead.  Any suggestions would be most appreciated.  Just for the record, no more Maytag appliances for me!

Hi, after reading the last post, I decided to recheck the latch mechanism to see why the door remains in locked position, staying on even when I open it. Now afraid I will start also having electronic issues. Now it won't even click on the latch. I thought I would pick up a new mechanism and put it in myself. Am I getting in over my head? Maytag will cover it if I bring in the repair man, but besides paying, I will be out a dishwasher for 3 days. I compained,without satisfaction about being on my 3rd handle (3 years, last July) I am told based on compaints only 1% ever have problems. I tried getting labour covered but no, I guess that defeats the savings of putting in cheaper parts. Its a win-win for them lose-lose for the consumer. After all, this professionally installed replacement handle lasted 26 months!

:X:X:X Thanks for letting me vent, I know you guys get it.

Wow, we would have never figured this out without this tip, took me awhile but I finally figured out what you meant.  Note to others, the latch assembly (which is part of internal controls goes against the actuator (this is at the top of the diswasher that is built into your cabinet). Hope I didn't confuse things but it took me awhile to figure this out. Thanks, I saved around $160 for the Maytag repair man to come fix it.

With the old handle off, put the latch assembly against the actuator and press it on. This will simulate a closed door. Then take chanel locks and squeeze from sides and press new handle in ,large tabs first then lift up to snap small tabs in.

Hi, I picked up a new latch as is was jammed and had a non-maytag repairman put new handle in for 10$, as he was here for warranty work for another appliance. Maytag would pay for it if I waited for their authorized repairman to come in 3 days, for 69$ That repair shop actually told me to put the handle on the latch was a two-man job that had to be done in the shop.When I told him how its done, he said there was no way you could do it in the home.Maybe I should charge them for lessons. The best appliances are the ones with the best warranty and the most choice in repair shops. The maytag shops sure seemed the most backed-up.

I have read all the exciting experiences everyone has had with the broken latch, setting me up for my adventure. I have the model MDB8600AWB and had hoped for a care free life as the kitchen clean-up person. Unfortunely, dishwasher happyness did not work out. I have ordered the replacement part, but I have fundamental question. I have not taken the dishwasher apart yet, since I figured I would wait until the new part arrived. So my plan, when the new part arrives with the power off, is to open the door and un-screw the 11 screws from the inside of the dishwasher door. I presume that gets me to the point of being able to see what broke and maybe how to put the part in based on this thread's comments.

If I am wrong with my approach or there is a secret approach other than removing screws, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Hi,

No big deal taking it apart. Wait until you have all the parts,unless you like doing dishes. My was floppy but working, but when I took the liner off it fell apart completely. Be careful about the wires as they are attached to the controll panel with plastic clips, my clips broke, not sure If I did it or were like that, when the Maytag guy did the first replacement. They will stay broken,things are working fine but probably not ideal. The repair guy said the 2 wire bundles which clip onto "cherry Fuses" on the white latch can go on either side makes no difference both are grounded.

Its no big deal, with help from everyone here. I'm so glad I didn't pay and wait for Maytag.

Thanks, I should have the parts in a couple of days. Hopefully it will go better than my gas insert installation I have been working on today.

I too pulled my hair out for an hour, and took 5 minutes after reading this.

Just wanted to add a note. if you take off the microswitches (as I did) they did not seem to want to "lock in" when I put them back on. After another 5 minutes of "playing with it" a little light went off in my head.

I put the latch back on the actuator (like I was replacing the handle) and the switched slid right on and clicked into place. I have no idea WHY that made a difference.... but it did.

I hope this helps somebody in the future.

Neal

I have done many of these and what seems to work for me is to place the assembly on a flat hard surface.  Push down on the plastic with the spring under it and slide the steel pin out with a pair of needle nose pliers.  DO NOT LET GO OF THE SPRING!  This will enable more movement needed to insert both the large and small tabs of the handle.  Also make sure that the latch is in the open position before sliding the pin back into place.  There, that wasn't so hard now was it?

I was amazed. I un-screwed the front panel and really only opened it on the top about 4". Put the new part in place and sqeezed rather hard until all the parts were in place. 90 seconds of effort and hours of concern. I would have hated myself if I had spent $100 for a visit by the expert.

Thanks to everyone for the advise.

My experience was slightly different from the posts here. My handle broke after 3 years of use. I replaced my handle this morning 10/21/06 and here is what I believe everyone should know from beginning to end:

1. TURN OFF POWER AT THE BREAKER
  2. Remove the torx screws (many of them) around the door liner. Get the correct size torx head.
  3. You can now easily lift the door liner from the door, but there are wires connected to a component attached to the liner so you can't just easily lift it off and place it to the side. I could not remove the connector from the component so I held the door liner up away from the door with a long screwdriver used as a wedge so that I can easily get to the door latch assembly. Besides, the door is spring loaded and is held down by the weight of the liner. I found that doing it my way kept the door down so that I can work on the latch assembly.
  4. Now I wanted to remove the two connectors attached to the latch assembly. They wouldn't come off easily. I'm used to working with electrical components and connectors and I couldn't easily find a way to get these off without considerable force, so I left them on.
  5. With the wires still attached, just lift and rotate the whole latch assembly out of the door to work on it. When you removed the top two center torx screws, this freed the latch assembly from the door so that you can move it.
  6. Remove the old handle. My handle had one large tab broken off and the handle had a crack 3/4 of the way through.
  7. IMPORTANT: The new handle won't go on unless you simulate a latch closure. Like one poster said, just use a pair of scissors and push it into the latch to simulate you are closing the door. It takes some pushing. You may think you don't have to do this step, but you do to get the handle on easier.
  8. I tried a couple of different techniques, but I found that pushing the handle's small tabs into the assembly first before the large tabs worked best. It will take some force to do this but you don't need pliers. (I can't figure how you can use pliers for this anyhow).
  9. Now wiggle the handle to one side to catch one of the big tabs in it's slot. It won't feel that the tab went in all the way, that's because it didn't. The other tab is still out of it's slot and on an angle. Apply a lot of force to the handle directed at this other tab. You are actually bending the plastic tab to seat it into it's slot. When the handle reaches a certain angle due to the force you are applying, the first big tab will slip all the way into it's slot thereby providing enough room for the other tab to slip around the hinge and into it's slot. This happens quickly, amazes you, and makes you feel real good. The key thing here is that you will think that there is no way it's going to fit, but it does.
  10. Since the latch assembly is simulated shut, you can pull up on the handle now to "open" it. Rotate the assembly back into position.
  11. Look for any broken parts and remove.
  12. Re-assemble the door liner but don't overtighten. Just snug. They strip easily or break their stays. One of my stays were broken probably do to overtightening at the factory.
  13. Test door close/open.
  14. Turn on power.

Another satisfied customer here - I wrestled with that handle on my MDBTT59AWW for a long time before finding this site. I was sure I had the wrong part & would not have guessed the proper handle placement without seeing those images. Thanks to all for your help!

This was a great post!  I fiddled with trying to get the handle on the latch.  The latch has to be in the closed position or you will never get the handle on.  I used a screwdriver to push the latch closed and the handle popped on with a little elbow grease.

Was abe to cancel the service tech call !

JJ