Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Repairing a Fridge

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 (pinkpanther)

(pinkpanther)

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 08:27 PM

Dear Samarai,

I have a GE side by side refrigerator model # TFX25PRYD WW .

First the fridge side began warming up. I followed your instructions of checking the defrost timer and it was okay. I also checked the heater and found it questionable. I follwed your advice and replaced both. I also found out that the light in my fridge never turns off and I repaired that as well. It then began to work better but it keeps running and does not switch off. The defrost timing is good, so I replaced the thermostat twice and nothing changed. I am able to turn it off manually. When I turn it back on it will come back on at the right temperature.   So my problem now is that the temperature in the fridge will go down to 37 degrees and the freezer side goes to about 10 degrees until the evaporators freeze up. Could I have purchased 2 bad thermostats in a row?  Could I be installing the thermostat wrong? Any ideas of what the problem could be?

Thank you,

K

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 15 September 2005 - 12:57 AM

Hello, my warming up friend. While reading of your travails, I was struck by this statement you made:

The defrost timing is good,...

And I wondered aloud to myself, "How has this femininely-coloured panther made such a determination?" My muttering startled one of my wives, causing her to disrobe in front of me and my remaining thoughts were lost in the frantic rustling of robes, pillows and yak skins.

Afterwards, as I lay smoking my hookah with my thoughts returning, it occurred to me that the defrost timer is the only piece of the defrosting system that you have not replaced. Further, it is much more likely that the fault lies with another component, such as the defrost timer, rather than a new component that you have already replaced.

Please excuse me, one of my other wives has come in and is "startled" as well.

Allahu Akbar!

#3 (pinkpanther)

(pinkpanther)

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 05:04 AM

Hi Moos

I did replace the defrost timer as I mentioned.

Jazak Allah

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,843 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 15 September 2005 - 05:09 AM

I had to re-read your post a few times to finally pull out what you had and had not done. To summarize, you have replaced:

defrost timer

defrost heaters

defrost thermostat

Is this correct?

#5 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 15 September 2005 - 05:19 AM

Put your contol settings at the factory reccomended set points. usually the middle settings.

Actually 10 degrees and 37 degrees are good temps.

If you can, post a picture of your evaporator coils so we can see the frost pattern. Also lets see your controls.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#6 (pinkpanther)

(pinkpanther)

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 05:53 AM

Hi Samurai

That is correct.

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,843 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 03:19 PM

Awaiting your response to Master Nick's post...

#8 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 03:31 PM

[align=left]    When You say thermostat are you talking about the cold control in the fresh food side or are you talking about that little silver thing (Defrost Thermostat) that attaches to the top of your evaporator coil?   When you replaced the defrost heater did you use a WR51X443 defrost heater harness which includes that little silver thing as well as the heater?[/align]

[align=left]    The tech sheet on a lot of those GEs will say the defrost duration is 35 minutes.  I find they are almost 50 minutes most of the time.  I almost always end up replacing the defrost heater harness on frosted up GE side by sides like yours.   But I ALWAYS check it,. do the procedure.[/align]

[align=left]    Put the timer in defrost, remember what time it is, then start removing the evaporator cover.  If you find the heaters on there is a 99.2 % chance you have a bad timer.  If not you need to check the heater and the defrost t-stat.  You can bypass the defrost thermostat and see if the heaters come on if you like. cut the power first.  By the time I get defrosted, replace the bad heater harness and put it back together the timer comes out of defrost.  I won't leave until I hear the compressor start. If it reaches close to an hour I start getting nervous.  Any longer than I that I go back in and change the timer too.[/align]

This could also be the early stages of a sealed system problem.

#9 (pinkpanther)

(pinkpanther)

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 08:58 PM

Hi Nick

Sorry it took a while to post the pic.

thanks

Attached Files

#10 (pinkpanther)

(pinkpanther)

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 09:00 PM

control pic.

Attached Files

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,843 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 04:34 AM

Your freezer pic looks like early stage sealed system failure to me.

#12 (pinkpanther)

(pinkpanther)

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 05:49 AM

Hi Samurai

Why doesn't my fridge ever stop running? The temperature reaches 36 in the frest food side and around 10 to 17 in the freezer. Should n't it shut off ?

Thanks,

K

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,843 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 06:01 AM

Wrong question. You should be asking, "Why will my freezer only get to 10 to 17F?" Your freezer should get to 0F without even trying.

The other question you should be asking is, "What does that mean that I have 'early-stage sealed system failure?'"

Great questions! Just waiting to see if you'll ask them or if you're still stuck on the merely symptomatic question of, "Why doesn't my fridge ever stop running?"

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,843 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 06:04 AM

One other thought: have you brushed and vacuumed the condenser?

#15 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 20 September 2005 - 06:53 AM

YOu have major problems with the sealed system, the whole evaperator coils should be frosted.  You either have a freon leak and are are low on freon, the system is in a prartial restriction or your compressor is going down so the box can never stop running as the thermostat is not getting staisfied.  You are looking at big $$$ unless this box is under warranty.  If it is not under warranty go looking for a nice Whirlpool and get away from the G.E. nightmare.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics