Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag filters loaded w/ food gink

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Reid

Reid

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 08:54 PM

O lantern bearers:  I have a Maytag dishwasher (Mod # MDBD880AWB, Ser. 27533651AJ, bought '92) in which the pump housing filter and pump cover/filter assembly keep loading up with food gink.  I figure in a dire emergency I'll just scrape it out and boil it up, not tell the kids!  I can clean the pump housing filter, can only partially clean the pump cover because food's stuck inside, under those microscreen windows.  I figure I should buy a new pump cover/filter assembly, but want to know why this is happening.  What else can I do?  I should mention we have hard water which helps the food to cake on it seems.  //Your less-than-stellar pupil, Reid.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,403 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 16 September 2005 - 04:53 AM

I suspect the dishwasher isn't draining all the way and so leaving some gookus behind after each drain cycle. You should verify this visually and we'll go from there.

#3 Reid

Reid

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 02:16 PM

Master: I've ordered the two filter parts from the ordained site, and have checked whether the dishwasher is completely emptying. It seems to be, based on letting it pump, opening the door, and not seeing any residual water in the bottom. Is the the appropriate check?

I'll put in the new parts, and track how things run. Is there some other reason the gookus would be accumulating in the filter other than it just got overloaded and can't rejuvenate itself? On the existing pump filter cover, I can't get all the gookus out from behind those microscreens.

Thanks!

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,403 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 26 September 2005 - 03:22 PM

[user=3459]Reid[/user] wrote:

Is the the appropriate check?

Indeed.

Is there some other reason the gookus would be accumulating in the filter other than it just got overloaded and can't rejuvenate itself?!

Sometimes, stuff just gets backed up and needs to be reset. Not unlike a computer running Windows that needs to be rebooted (usually daily) to clear out the accumulate gookus.

#5 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 27 September 2005 - 02:25 PM

Maybe the jets in the lower spray arm that are supposed to clean the filter are plugged? Or possibly the pump is weak and your not getting good pressure at the spray arm.

Remove and clean the lower spray arm, make sure all the holes are clear. Put the spray arm back in, and run it through a cycle empty(but fill the detergent cups) to clean things out.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#6 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 27 September 2005 - 02:50 PM

Also, check  to see if your water is hot, and that the heat element is working. Select the heated options, if you have them, and run it empty with detergent.

Also, try Cascade detergent if you're not already using it. And fill the cups when you wash.

Low temperatures, cheap soap, and using too little soap can cause your problem.

Nick 

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics