Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Dumbstruck by the new computer-controlled appliances? Let the Samurai enlighten you…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Reid

Maytag filters loaded w/ food gink

6 posts in this topic

O lantern bearers:  I have a Maytag dishwasher (Mod # MDBD880AWB, Ser. 27533651AJ, bought '92) in which the pump housing filter and pump cover/filter assembly keep loading up with food gink.  I figure in a dire emergency I'll just scrape it out and boil it up, not tell the kids!  I can clean the pump housing filter, can only partially clean the pump cover because food's stuck inside, under those microscreen windows.  I figure I should buy a new pump cover/filter assembly, but want to know why this is happening.  What else can I do?  I should mention we have hard water which helps the food to cake on it seems.  //Your less-than-stellar pupil, Reid.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I suspect the dishwasher isn't draining all the way and so leaving some gookus behind after each drain cycle. You should verify this visually and we'll go from there.

Master: I've ordered the two filter parts from the ordained site, and have checked whether the dishwasher is completely emptying. It seems to be, based on letting it pump, opening the door, and not seeing any residual water in the bottom. Is the the appropriate check?

I'll put in the new parts, and track how things run. Is there some other reason the gookus would be accumulating in the filter other than it just got overloaded and can't rejuvenate itself? On the existing pump filter cover, I can't get all the gookus out from behind those microscreens.

Thanks!

[user=3459]Reid[/user] wrote:

Is the the appropriate check?

Indeed.

Is there some other reason the gookus would be accumulating in the filter other than it just got overloaded and can't rejuvenate itself?!

Sometimes, stuff just gets backed up and needs to be reset. Not unlike a computer running Windows that needs to be rebooted (usually daily) to clear out the accumulate gookus.

Maybe the jets in the lower spray arm that are supposed to clean the filter are plugged? Or possibly the pump is weak and your not getting good pressure at the spray arm.

Remove and clean the lower spray arm, make sure all the holes are clear. Put the spray arm back in, and run it through a cycle empty(but fill the detergent cups) to clean things out.

Nick

Also, check  to see if your water is hot, and that the heat element is working. Select the heated options, if you have them, and run it empty with detergent.

Also, try Cascade detergent if you're not already using it. And fill the cups when you wash.

Low temperatures, cheap soap, and using too little soap can cause your problem.

Nick