Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

A.O. Smith Gas Water Heater Model FSG 40 242

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wilkinson

wilkinson

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:49 AM

We just returned from vacation and there was no hot water. I checked the pilot light and it is on and if I turn the thermostat dial up the flame will light on the main burner. The water is only luke warm. Any ideas on what I need to do to get hot water?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:50 AM

[user=6770]wilkinson[/user] wrote:

... the flame will light on the main burner. The water is only luke warm...

does the Flame go out at that time ?

depending on it's age.. could be a lot of sediment built up on the bottom inside if the Tank ...

Flame goes ON, heats the sediment quickly ... shuts OFF, with slower heat transfer to the Water .. 

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 wilkinson

wilkinson

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:12 AM

The flame on the main burner will stay on until it gets the water luke warm. If I run the hot water from a faucet for a long period of time the main burner should automatically come on. Right? It does not. The only way I can get the burner to come on is if I turn up the temperature on the dial. Could this be a thermostat problem?

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:52 AM

could be..

I didn't check the model number, but depending on age,

it could also be a deteriorated "sacrificial anode" (cold water Dip Tube)

so then the incoming cold water goes directly over to the hot water exit rather than down to the Burner ..

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 wilkinson

wilkinson

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:01 PM

I checked the aerators on a couple of water faucets and there were no plastic particles which might indicate the dip tube is ok. Would the thermocouple have anything to do with this problem? I looked at a video on youtube and it looks like a fairly simple procedure to change one out. However, if the thermostat is the problem how do I go about checking it? If it is defective is it a difficult job to put in a new one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics