Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kitchenaid oven works, burners dont

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 crabcruncher

crabcruncher

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 08:14 PM

Oven works fine. All four burner elements do not heat. When burner switch is set to high nothing happens, even the indicating light for the burner doesnt come on.  Left the breaker off overnight , than turned it on next morning and tried burners. The indicating light came on for a millisecond than went off. Tried to turn burner on again, and ind. lgt. would not even flash at all. Shut breaker off for two hours and repeated test. Burner light came on for millisecond than went out. Tried again and burner light would not flash at all. This is same for all burners. Is there a relay that is fouling up? I have a fluke meter, and readings on wires that I disconnected from H1 and H2 show continuity on all four burners.

Tony

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 01:52 AM

Since all top burners not working, I would suspect a burnt wire to control switches somewhere.

You checked continuity on all four elements from H1-H2 on all switches so you know the elements are ok.

Now you need to check L1-L2, (should probably be black and red wires), on each switch and see if you have 220Volts at the switches, if not then check each individually L1 to ground and L2 to ground, then which ever one doesn't show a reading of 110volts needs to be followed to find where power is being lost. Look for a wire that has slipped loose from a connector or burnt wiring at terminal block in back.

I don't have a wiring diagram for your unit so I don't know what the thermal disc under the cooktop controls, maybe shuts down all burners if an overheat condition occurs?

Thermal Disc ref#17 on this picture CLICK HERE

The other thermal disc/Bi-metal ref#20 is the fan control so that shouldn't have anything to do with it.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 17 September 2005 - 08:46 AM

that unit has a cooktop relay that disables the top burners while cleaning- look for a failure somewhere in that circuit- try putting it in clean and then cancelling again
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#4 crabcruncher

crabcruncher

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 03:48 PM

Willie, I did as you recommended and found no voltage on all L1 switch terminals. I than went to look for the burnt wire in the connection box, and there it was just like you posted. Well done. It all works again. Thanks alot.

Kdog, I saw that latch switch on the diagram on back of oven, it was the only component on L1 other than the wiring that could open the circuit. Thanks for your input also.

This is an excellent site with very prompt and top troubleshooters. And in the Immortal words of the Terminator....I'll be back.

Thanks again

Tony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics