Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Converting Natural Gas to Propane dryer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Paulcalif

Paulcalif

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:04 PM

I posted on this subject before, but can't find it now.

I have a dryer model djxr433gg1ww.

I purchase the conversion kit for it and I am ready to tackle the conversion.

I was wondering if there is a walk through on how to take the dryer apart?

Thanks,

Paul

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Waffle House Coffee

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:10 PM

Open the door and you will see 2 screws, one on each side going straight up to the top. Remove those screws, grab the front of the top and lift up, pull forward and back and the top will come off.

Remove the 2 phillips head screws securing the front to the sides of the cabinet.

Pull front forward and lift up. There are 2-3 wires attached to the door switch that you will need to remove (noting their specific locations).

Remove the back access panel and remove the belt from the motor pulley by releasing the idler pulley tension (noting the routing of the belt).

you are now ready to remove the drum..use the belt to help remove and install the drum. you will most likely have to flex the sides of the cabinet to remove and install the drum. It's and extremely close fit.

From this point you can access all the valve and burner parts.

If you would like to make a donation you may do so at the link below

One on one repair help now available !

http://homepage.mac....ppl.tech.29501/

http://twitter.com/ApplTech29501

http://www.facebook.com/ApplTech29501

www.eliteapplianceservice.org

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,872 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:21 PM

Some help on doing the conversion here:

http://fixitnow.com/...gas-to-propane/

#4 Paulcalif

Paulcalif

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

I think I found a good post -
http://fixitnow.com/...er-disassembly/

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:34 PM

[user=27206]Paulcalif[/user] wrote:

I posted on this subject before, but can't find it now...

click on user name:

View Profile

The Laundry Appliance Repair Forum > GE Dryer Conversion Natural Gas to Propane (2 replies - 139 views) 

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 Paulcalif

Paulcalif

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:53 AM

You guys are awersome, thanks!

#7 Paulcalif

Paulcalif

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:45 AM

I have no access panel in the back! I saw this in my link above, is this the right way to do it?

To restring the belt on this sorry excuse for a dryer, remove the phillips screw inside the rear exit opening of the blower duct and remove the duct. Then restring the belt from the front.

Restring from the front? Did they mean rear???

Thanks

#8 Paulcalif

Paulcalif

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:00 PM

Well, it's done. Restringing the belt was the hardest part and that wasn't too tough. I can't understand why GE didn't put an access panel in the back though. I won't be able to test until the next time I go out to the desert.

Thanks again guys,
Paul

#9 Paulcalif

Paulcalif

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:05 PM

I pretty much guarantee this is a new one for you guys. I had the dryer in the back of my truck, taking it to the desert. Keep in mind that this was an almost NEW dryer. I had gone close to 100 miles when the rope holding the dryer from blowing out Broke! I saw it starting to go and made it to the slow lane where it FELL out in traffic - oh crap!! I pulled over and called the CHP. Cars and BIG trucks were swerving to miss it. A HUGE Semi nailed it, hitting it straight on and knocking it further down the freeway, but still in the lane. As I watched in horror the Highway Patrol finally got there and stopped all traffic on the 10 (70 mph zone!). He pulled it off the road. Then he came up to me, I figured I was going to be cited, but he just asked if I wanted to pick it up! I did and got it out here. That new looking dryer is now beat to a pulp, but it works!! I had to bang out the sheet metal, and the start button is gone. The plastice top piece that holds the timer etc. is pretty beat up. It's amazing that is still works. I need a few parts!

#10 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:45 PM

pictures ?

http://www.imageshack.us/

no need to (free) register, but a good idea if you want to manage your pictures ..

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#11 Paulcalif

Paulcalif

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:03 PM

Man, I should have thought of that. I spent a few hours making it look better. Pounded out some dents and painted over where the paint was scraped off. Taped the plastic panel where the timer and switches are. Looks like new again, well, looks like it feel off a truck really. LOL.
I am leaving from home tonight. Next trip out I'll take pictures, but I should have done it before.

#12 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Waffle House Coffee

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:09 AM

Wow, that sucks. At least you had a rope to begin with. You would be amazed how many people we sell applinaces to that come to pick them up and have nothing to tie them down with. When you exit our place of business there is a big dip in the road.....I've probably seen a hundred appliances dumped out of trucks onto the road. The thing that kills me is they come back wanting us to give them another appliance because they refused to buy a $3 piece of rope.
If you would like to make a donation you may do so at the link below

One on one repair help now available !

http://homepage.mac....ppl.tech.29501/

http://twitter.com/ApplTech29501

http://www.facebook.com/ApplTech29501

www.eliteapplianceservice.org

#13 Paulcalif

Paulcalif

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:19 AM

To be honest, I figured the rope was just added safety, and there for the dips and bumps. I was a victim of highwinds and crappy rope. The rope was Harbor Freight glow in the dark rope. It looks strong, about 3/8" think, but it broke and it wasn't against a sharp edge or anything. At least I got the dryer cheap and it's only going into our vacation home. AND, it still works. I may be in the market for a new one anyway just because this one looks real bad - LOL. I am just REALLY glad no one got hurt!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics